Hey Red Cross, Not All Blood Types Are Created Equal So Stop Calling Me

I have the rare AB+ blood type, but if I didn't I would donate as often as I could!

130

I get telemarketer calls about ten times a day. Most of these calls are for student loan forgiveness but some of these calls come from the American Red Cross. Usually the person on the other end of the phone is an actual human, which I do appreciate; however, I don't like being called daily and asked if I would to donate blood. My blood type is not even that useful for donations.

I donated blood for the first time (and only time so far) when I was a senior in high school. I remember the process being very intimidating with the questionnaire and mini-health screening. I wanted to give blood because I really wanted to know my blood type and I knew if I gave blood, the Red Cross would have that information on file.

Donating blood was not a fun experience for me. It made me quite sick; however, while I did feel sick afterward, I also felt proud and accomplished. I decided that I would give blood as often as I could after that day.

A few months later, I was checking through my emails from the Red Cross and they revealed to me my blood type in one of those emails. I was AB+ which means I am the universal receiver.

If you didn't know, there are eight different blood types: O+, O-, AB+, AB-, A+, A-, B+, and B-. I am not going to get much more scientific with you because I don't want to bore you. Basically, each blood type has a group of other blood types they can receive from and donate to.

Blood type O- is the universal donor which means they can give blood from all eight blood types. AB+ (my blood type) is the universal recipient which means I can get blood from all blood types.

The problem with my blood type is that I can get blood from literally anybody I know. But I can only give blood to people with my blood type and I have the second rarest blood type with only 3% of the population having that blood type. Since people can get blood from other blood types than me, my blood is not as vital for donations.

The blood that is highly needed for donations is O-. O- individuals can give blood to literally anyone! If I was O- I know I would be giving as often as I could.

So please, please figure out your blood type and if you can, donate blood. While I do not have the best blood type for donating, I still plan on donating blood from time to time. Just remember not to drink coffee because I always forget that!

Donating blood saves lives and with the hurricane happening in the south, blood is needed now more than ever. Eastern Michigan University is holding many blood drives all over campus. Find out if you are eligible to donate and where you can go to donate here.