Money Money Money

Money Money Money

Is America really the land of the free?

24
Money Money Money
Huffington Post

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Living in the United States has for some time been seen in an almost mystical sense. Talked about as the “Land of the free” and the world when thinking of U.S. heard much about the “American Dream. Yet many would believe that the American dream is as dead as the founding fathers. So why? What is hindering the American dream. Many would scream CAPITALISM. This question was posed as an “ADDENDUM ITEM 9” and asks, “Is capitalism capable of producing a meaningful life filled with meaningful social connections and meaningful social relations beyond materialism, consumerism, and commodity relationships?” AKA can life be meaningful in the situation we have now?

Yes, life can be meaningful, or at least perceived that way… But it takes sacrifice. A person can always look on the bright side, no matter how horrid their situation. And yet, America started as trying to get away from controlling dictator controlled countries so that they could be free… Pursue their dreams. A quote, or rather, a cartoon from Stephanie McMillan’s novel “Capitalism Must Die” says this… “I went to the revolution and all I got was the replacement of one dictator by another less obvious one, plus this lousy t-shirt.” The t-shirt of course being worn by a ridiculous character of a rabbit and sporting the words “I revolted” And that’s what the early U.S. denizens got, a less conspicuous dictator. Or in blatant words “Capitalism” and the pursuit of money.

We live, breath and strive for happiness… Facts are that Americans think money is happiness. I certainly don’t completely think that, but in my mind the more money I have the easier life is. I work five jobs… 40+ hours a week, go to school to get a great job to make more money, lose sleep, get stressed out and go without. All in the pursuit of money. Another cartoon from “Capitalism Must Die” says “But I don’t like being a pet, working 27 hours a day at being cute, locked in a cage and being fed dry, tasteless pellets. Can’t we run free?” This is a conversation between two rabbits representing American Citizens. The second bunny’s response was “Grow up. Bunnies were not meant to be free.” (Pg 123) So is that what we are meant to do? Work till we drop never really getting anywhere? Is that what being an adult means in this country? Is that supposed to make us happy?

So is this all there is? Is this happiness? No. page 124 of “Capitalism Must Die” says “You can’t live without me, commerce asserts-- I feed you. Competition natural, says science. Shut up and obey, snarls Homeland Security. Don’t complain, says your supervisor. Advertising reassures us that the latest pill or consumer item will numb our pain. The talking heads of corporate media decide for us what matters and what doesn’t. The entire weight of this culture whispers without pause into our ears: ‘The way things are will always be.’” But that isn’t true. It doesn’t have to be. “ Nothing changes, until people decide to make them change. To act even if the odds are against us.” (pg 125)

So the answer is no. It’s not a simple answer it’s even harder to try and find a way to fix. Americans are living the American Dream but the American Dream needs to change. There will never be an easy way to fix it. And we are going to come against a lot of people who want to keep going the way we are. But the status quo isn’t what is going to make Americans happy. We want exceptionalism. And heck, everyone deserves to have a chance at an exceptional life. So finally, know you aren’t fully to blame for the situation you or others might be in. We are under a dictatorship of money and capitalism. Anyone can learn to be happy… but why learn to ignore our situation when we can try and change it? I for one am fighting for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The happiness I, and other Americans deserve.