Blood Has Been Shed, But There Is Hope

Blood Has Been Shed, But There Is Hope

A community comes together to pray for unity and peace.

26
Blood Has Been Shed, But There Is Hope
Eva's Diamond

Blood has run red this week. Blood from both the African American community and the community of police officers has been shed. It was shed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana as well as Dallas, Texas and in Falcon Heights, Minnesota and both African Americans and officers, who had all sworn to protect and serve, were murdered in cold blood. The hurt and injustice this week has been heard and replayed through the hearts, minds and souls of the American people of all races. Nothing can replace the lives lost and no amount of retribution could ever bring those families peace. My heart weeps for the families of everyone affected as a white girl with several close friends and family in the African American community. Tonight, though, in the small town of Conway, South Carolina, there was a different atmosphere. Instead of fear and division, there was a sense of unity and hope.

Christ Community Church hosted a small Community Prayer Gathering of believers including the Mayor, Barbara Blaine-Bellamy and the Chief of Police, Reginald E. Gosnell. Several different pastors including Pastor Cheryl Adamson of Palmetto Missionary Baptist Church and their own Assistant Pastor, Mark Burlinson, as well as some policemen and women also attended. I, personally, attended this meeting in an effort more than anything to understand what had happened this week as well as support those who attend Christ Community and are members of both the African American and police communities.

During this meeting, several members of the church and guests, who are African American, shared their stories of police brutality. A few of those who shared have been my friends for years and my heart shattered for them. I could not stop the tears from flowing because I had not really understood before. I could not help, but cry and pray that I could understand better than I have before about all that they were going through. Being white and having no problems with the police usually besides being pulled over for something like a traffic violation, I could not fathom being shot over a broken tail light or being watched and suspected of being a thief just walking through a store. I still do not fully understand all of this, but I do now have a sense of the pain which my brothers and sisters of color do feel. I would like to express my apologies that I was not able to truly understand before and am grateful to those who shared at the meeting and helped me to more clearly understand your situation. I do not pity you, but I do my best to empathize.

That being said, after these people shared their stories, pastors and all of us in the congregation prayed for everyone involved in the shootings and for authority figures in our community and those affected by the shootings as well as for unity, hope and love in the future between the police and the African American community instead of retribution and hate. All of us, myself included, prayed for a better and safer tomorrow for everyone involved in the shooting and their families, but also for our community that positive change will occur in the aftermath of these inexcusable and horrific events. The feeling in the room was peaceful and bittersweet. Amidst the prayers and tears shed by many in the room, there was a sense of community and love that I had not felt for a long time. We had all joined together for a single purpose. We wished to bring healing and understanding to every race and community in Conway and the surrounding areas. It was a beautiful time and, while the shootings were awful and unjust, Christians coming together as one body despite divisions in our nation gives me hope for a better tomorrow. I hope others can feel the same as well.

There is evil in this world. Unfortunately, racism is alive and well in America. One of my best friends pointed out that the black lives matter community is drawing attention to horrific acts committed against the African American community specifically and that they do not wish to discount acts committed against other communities, but they feel the need to find justice for their community for acts committed against them at this time. Thus, while all lives do matter to God, the black lives matter movement specifically addresses that the lives of African Americans are just as important as everyone else’s. It’s not playing the “race card”. It’s drawing attention to events and racism which should never have occurred. One thing of importance to note, also, is that my friend who said this is a white male. He, and my friend Andy, who is mulatto, also attended the meeting with me and heard the testimonies as I did. I completely agree with him. My perspective has changed and I’m more empathetic than I was before the meeting and I urge anyone who reads this to try to see these events and the racism in our country with new eyes as well.

There is hope for a better tomorrow. Community Prayer Gatherings such as this one offers a way for communities to unite under one banner to spread hope, love and healing instead of revenge and hate. I encourage others to pray for a sense of community and love throughout America in the coming weeks instead of hate and anger. Healing happens when people listen and understand to those who are hurting. Prayer helps too. Change is possible in America if we work together. I know those of the African American community are tired. I know that there is still a long road ahead. Blood has been shed and there is nothing to change that; however, through prayer, healing and love, communities of all races can come together to make positive change. Conway is on its way to doing so through this meeting and work by the Chief of Police to set up more practical ways to help our community for the better. There is a meeting this Wednesday about that in fact. If it can work in Conway, it can work in all of America as well. Please do not give up. Keep praying and trusting God that things will get better. I am committing to standing with both the African American and the service community through prayer and love to make a more unified Conway in my own life. I ask you to do the same in your community and lives as Americans. Help me to create a better America for all of us. Love others and spread healing instead of hate. Together, black, white, police, red, yellow, everyone can work toward a positive change. Believe me. We can make a difference.