Blink 182's California: Concert Review

Blink 182's California: Concert Review

Wait, who is Matt Skiba?

47
Blink 182's California: Concert Review
Lauren Lugdon

Ever since I was in middle school, there has been that solid spot in my heart that is filled with Blink 182. They have always had a song that fits every part of my life in one way or another. Therefore, when they came to my home state 10 years later, my 21 year old self had to see them in concert. This concert was everything my 11 year old self imagined it to be and more.

The Darlings Waterfront Concert venue was ideal. It was very well put together and set up for the concert that was about to take place. In the pit, (where I had tickets) it was very nice as well. The bathrooms were within reasonable distance to the pit area, and the set up in general was great.

Opening with Dj Spider couldn't have gone better. I am incredibly partial when it comes to live dj's, but this one was by far the best I have ever seen. His collection of music was relative and simply flowed together so well.

Once A Day to Remember (Another one of my childhood favorites) came on, the crowd was insane. I was standing with only two people in front of me before I was at the bar, so I was pretty close. Their set was unbelievable. They had a great array of their music and they didn't just stick to the "most popular" songs, and that is important for any band. They also had a wonderful incorporation with the audience and Jeremy McKinnon even came out and crowd surfed in a giant ball, which was very cool from an audience perspective.

The single complaint I had about A Day To Remember was not even from the band itself, it was from the crowd. An important idea to touch on here is that; is moshing a kosher thing to do at these events? I bought pit tickets because I sincerely enjoy A Day to Remember and Blink 182. I did not spend $85 to be punched, kicked and shoved, by grown men who are moshing. I am all for expressing yourself, however in my personal opinion, you should be doing it in a way that does not injure others who do not wish to participate.

When Blink 182 came on stage, however, it was a whole different story. The crowd calmed down (most likely due to the fact that Blink 182 is not as "hard" as A Day To Remember) and it was so much more enjoyable for myself and everyone around me. You did not have to particularly worry as much about protecting yourself, and you were able to enjoy the concert in its entirety. The song choice of Blink 182 could not have been better. They threw it back to Rock Show, First Date, All The Small Things, I Miss You, and What's My Age Again?, but they also kept it relative by playing Bored To Death, and San Diego, and a giant mix in between.

But you might be wondering; who is Matt Skiba?

Although Matt Skiba is not Tom DeLonge, he is the next best thing. Seeing the chemistry between all of them made it so much more enjoyable to the fans. Everybody around me was questioning if it would really be that good without Tom, and after the show there wasn't a doubt in anybody's mind. Matt Skiba is the real deal and he put on a phenomenal show.

Overall, this concert went out with a bang. I have not been to a better concert in my life, and I only hope I am able to see Blink 182 again in my lifetime. They brought together new fans, old fans, and fans of all ages in a way that was enjoyable for all. Some may complain, but overall, this concert made 11 year old Lauren, and 21 year old Lauren happy inside and out.