Blessing In Disguise

Blessing In Disguise

This is the best job I have ever had.

5
Zoe Watkins

Have you ever been forced to do something? You really and truly didn't want to do it. But you know you have no other choice but to.

This is the summer of my senior year, and I can't be happier. I honestly didn't want to get a 'job,' but the way my parents are set up, I don't have a choice. The job I chose to apply for was an organization called "The Neighborhood Christian Center" . The application process was super long and very detailed. I really didn't want to fill out the application, so I waited(just like most teenagers these days) until the last minute to do it.

After submitting the application and doing an interview, I was ready to start this long seven-week job for the summer. My parents and I attended the orientation, along with the other ten girls and their parents. I was extremely bored and ready to go.

The director started going over rules we had to follow. The first rule was: no phones. It was as if she was speaking in slow motion. By this point, I was ready to quite- and I hadn't even started yet. She continued with more rules and paperwork. I got everything signed, and I was ready to start that following week.

I was picked up that morning at six o'clock. I was so not prepared for what was in store. I came to this job thinking it would be just easy money, but it ended up being so much more. Every day was a better experience.

I started off not knowing anything about any of the girls there, but by the end, I became so close with all them. They are my sisters. No one can tell me otherwise. We laugh every day, and don't stop until we get home. Once we were at home, we began to Snapchat each other until we had to go to sleep because we had to get up for work the next day.

This program has made me a better person: physically, mentally, and most definitely spiritually. Every day, we have multiple speakers that motivate us to do more with our lives. They teach us how to be better women (physically and spiritually), and how to be confident in ourselves. We have daily devotion and prayers time alone. They teach us the rights and wrongs of the bible. They allow us to tell them about our problems and to share with them the struggles that we face. The mentors are like second parents. You can tell them anything, and they won't judge you a bit.

This job was a blessing in disguise. I am so happy that I am able to be part of this origination. I can't wait to see what else we have in store. Every day is making me a better person: inside and out.

My life has been changed for the better.