Why I Hate Black Friday

Why I Hate Black Friday

Focus on what you DO have, not what you don't.

134
Why I Hate Black Friday
Wikimedia

Once the cold weather hits, the holiday anticipation begins. Not only do I look forward to the actual holidays, I look forward to the season in general. The Christmas movies, putting up the tree with my family, the first snowfall, the list goes on. The holiday season is a time for being with family, giving to those who need, and being thankful for the things you have. In my opinion, Black Friday is the epitome of what the holidays shouldn't be about.

My biggest problem is that it is right after Thanksgiving. It actually encroaches on the holiday, since people lined up to shop on the 24th, and some stores open as early as 5:00 PM on Thanksgiving. People cut their family dinners and quality time short to trample each other for material things. A day dedicated to reflecting on how fortunate you are to have the things you do, becomes a night dedicated to fighting over things that you want. I have a huge problem with that. Not to mention there are people who can't spend the day with their families because they have to work in department stores and hectic malls all day and night.

The holidays are a time when people should be happy and enjoy each other's company. I think Black Friday brings out the worst in people. There is actually a website called "Black Friday Death Count" that has been keeping track of the Black Friday injuries and deaths that have occurred since 2006. There have been nine deaths and 102 injuries. Over what, a gaming system or a flat screen TV? Lives have been lost over this stupid tradition. I understand that consumerism is the backbone of our economy, but come on! Cyber Monday, at least, isn't right on top of a holiday, and people's lives are not put in jeopardy. I understand this probably sounds like a rant at this point, but it irritates me that Black Friday is a tradition in this country. Business should be closed, and time should be spent with loved ones that maybe you don't see as much. There will always be sales and discounts, but your family won't be around forever. That is what the holidays are all about.