Black Friday Is Consumerism At Its Finest

I ventured to the mall on Black Friday, and it was as scary as imagined.

173

I went Black Friday shopping, and it was even more horrible than I expected it to be.

I’ve been Black Friday shopping before, and I’ve always known I hate it. I usually wait until sometime in the afternoon to venture out, and I did the same this time. In fact, I went even later than normal, but my experience this time somehow managed to be the worst one yet.

First off, the amount of dangerous driving that I had to witness made me very frustrated. I get nervous, as a driver, when I see people get reckless. Putting others’ lives in danger just because you want to get to a good sale just is not worth it. There could be children in the cars around you. Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, grandparents, you name it. Driving isn’t a game, and you’re life is always at risk, but that risk is amplified when it feels like everyone around you is only concerned with getting to the mall instead of making good choices.

Secondly, the crowds just made me sad. I knew when I was sitting in traffic for more than double the time it actually takes me to normally get to the mall itself it would be bad, but I had no idea what I was getting into. I sometimes struggle with crowds, but I struggled even more when I noticed that no one was even trying to be courteous and there were people who couldn’t care less who was in their way. It was frustrating to me, in those moments that material items were getting in the way of how others were being treated. This can happen on a day to day basis, but it’s so amplified during an occasion like Black Friday.

Then, there’s the issue of people working on Black Friday. I’ve always considered myself lucky to have thus far avoided the retail life, but I truly feel for those who haven’t. I don’t think it’s fair that some of these workers are forced to come in as early as 3pm on Thanksgiving Day for the deals to start. I don’t think it’s fair that some of the workers are forced to work all night long. I don’t think it’s fair that I witnessed workers, who have no control over prices and store policy, get yelled at by customers. I would absolutely hate to work on Black Friday, and seeing those who are get treated poorly legitimately makes my heart ache.

Finally, there’s the problem I have with consumerism. Even the whole time that I was shopping with my friend I kept telling her how I hated that I was a part of something like this. It makes me sad to see the greed that comes along with this form of mindless consumerism. Actually, I don’t even think it’s mindless because people have such plans for their shopping trips. We, as a society, are just obsessed with “things.” Owning things, buying things, showing things off, and we don’t realize what it does to not only others, but also the planet we live on.

I can’t say whether or not I will ever go Black Friday shopping again. What I can say is that it’s definitely not a top priority. I’d rather continue the time spent with friends and family then get trampled on by crazed bargain hunters.