Intersectionality And The Modern Feminist Movement

The inclusion of various identities in modern day feminism.

142
The Womanist Society

When I tell people I am a feminist, I am met with some criticism based on the history of the feminist movement in the United States. I am met with comments such as "You can’t be 'woke' and be a feminist…" or "How can you be a feminist? You do know historically white women didn’t include women of color."

The history behind the feminist movement cannot be disputed, but as with any movement that excludes a group of people, the excluded will soon form their own alliances. This is exactly the case with black feminists, historically marginalized by the structure of white privilege in the U.S., as well as women of color outside the U.S. As a black feminist I understand and experience intersectionality in society, which means that sexism, classism, racism, and gender identity are elements of oppression that my community and others alike live daily.

The Movement began during the Civil Rights Era when black women began to not stand up to racism, but also the social construct of sexism, that white feminist do not acknowledge. I am not here to speak negatively about the white feminist movement because it has its place in history and in the fight for equality. However, the movement from the beginning did not include any women of color due to racism. Ignoring intersectionality has caused a divide in the feminist movement as a whole. Male supremacy takes notice of this divide and uses it as a tool to further destruct the positivity of the movement.

For instance, a friend of mine, who is a black man, has used the divide of the feminist movement to try and discredit my participation in the movement. This has made me fully aware that if women, ALL women, want change and inclusion there must be a dismantling of racism throughout society. Women have the power to bring people and communities together; this skill could unify society granted the structures of power be replaced with love, inclusion, acceptance, and equity.

It should be stressed that black feminism is not exclusive to African American women, but all women of color, men, and gender identities. The movement has invited all who face oppression at the hand of privileged social constructs to join and be active. If I am going to write about the black feminist movement, I feel I should also highlight the Womanist movement, which I participate in as well.

Womanism and Feminism go hand in hand, but womanist theology believes being a woman should not be based on femininity and culture alone, but is just as important to self- identity. The term was developed by author Alice Walker in In Search Of Our Mother’s Gardens: Womanist Prose. Womanism beliefs are not based on gender inequality like the feminist belief but based on the oppression within class and race.

The empowerment I have gained while becoming a conscious woman has brought understanding to my life and struggles as a black woman. Most of the negative comments I receive regarding my beliefs derive from black men who may feel a threat to their privilege once women of color realize their worth and become aware of their oppression then stand up to their oppressors, this is a common thread women of color have with the white feminist movement.

I stress that there is no need to feel threatened, but be aware that much-needed change is happening. Embrace the paths being carved for your daughters and sons that deconstruct living in a world where people tell you “no” based on your color and gender is unacceptable. I do not want your sons and daughters to be excluded from any opportunity in life because of sexual identity and structured gender roles. I urge you to accept the growth of woman of color and appreciate the strength and influence we have to benefit our communities.