7 Binge-Worthy Or Cringe-Worthy Netflix Shows

The seven Netflix shows that just didn't quite do it for us

492
Unsplash.com

When Christmas break hits, everyone tells you it's the ideal time to find a new show on Netflix to binge-watch. Hours upon hours of alone time at home with no school work... It just makes sense that you're going to be spending the majority of your time on Netflix bemoaning Meredith Grey's love life or wishing Ted Mosby would just find his wife already.

However, there are certain shows that everyone tells you are a must to binge-watch that really just leave you kind of disappointed and annoyed. Here are 7 such shows that have been labeled "binge-worthy" that might have been great at the beginning, but in all honesty, actually end up being kind of cringe-worthy. Warning, all of these contain spoilers, so if anyone is actually planning on binging some of the shows I'm listing... proceed with caution.

1. Grey's Anatomy

Sorry, Grey's fans. I held out hope as long as I could that this show would actually be worth the many, many hours I've invested into watching it. Sadly, I just don't think it was. Grey's Anatomy has a wonderful first few seasons and holds the attention of its viewers. However, as the (13 AND COUNTING) seasons go on, Grey's just seems to lose all of its lovable cast members and repeat the same plot lines over and over again.

No, I'm not just referring to the loss of McDreamy... although let's be honest, that was the last straw in a very long and drawn out annoyance towards the loss of almost all of a stellar cast Shonda Rimes managed to drive away. Except for Izzie. That woman was a menace.

2. How I Met Your Mother

This one is so heartbreaking to put on the list because I love the show to pieces. However, the way it ended just utterly betrayed the hopes and dreams of every viewer who patiently waited for NINE SEASONS for Ted to find his wife. We had to sit back and watch as 1) Tracy, the woman we'd waited nine seasons to be introduced to, dies, 2) Barney doesn't end up with Robin, but some random one-night stand no one was ever even introduced to (which was a complete injustice towards all the character growth we'd seen in him), and 3) Ted just goes back to Robin after everything that happened between them that proved being together was not the best option. I have much rage towards that finale, friends, so much rage.

3. Friends

Speaking of friends, let's talk about Friends. While a funny, endearing, and some would say classic show, Friends just drew some things out way too long that ultimately, make it kind of boring to watch after awhile. The Ross and Rachel love story is SO played out, it almost hurts. They get together, they break up; they get together, they break up; they get together, they break up. WHEN DOES IT END?!

The whole show, which had the potential to have lots of substance in terms of Rachel learning to be a hard-worker and Phoebe actually finding a brain and Joey learning to become better at his career, just seemed to end up revolving around all of their complicated love lives. The characters deserved better and so did we.

4. Gilmore Girls

*Sigh* This show was SO good at the beginning. Lauren Graham's dry wit and Alexis Bledel's cute innocence made Gilmore Girls so entertaining and beautiful for a while. However, like many shows, it got a little weird after a while and the characters seemed to lose a lot of their substance and strength of will- case in point, Rori.

After her move to college, the sweet side of Rori's personality that we all loved and admired seems to just vanish, as Rori is replaced with a snooty, entitled girl who makes countless bad decisions (including sleeping with a MARRIED Dean). Come on, Gilmore Girls, get it together.

5. Glee

I'm a sucker for their covers, so this one is tough, but the show honestly just seemed to decline more and more as the seasons went on. Rachel completely betrayed her character when she went through her "college girl phase" in season 4, and since she was kind of the backbone of the show for a really long time, this made things super weird and just annoying for viewers.

As the seasons went on (particularly after most of the gang graduated), the acting and plot developments just got progressively worse. Glee is the perfect example of why some shows just need to die after only a few seasons.

6. Once Upon a Time

This show stemmed from an amazing concept and had a great first season. We quickly fell in love with Emma Swan and the intricacies of her past life, as well as the other characters in Storybrooke that made the show interesting.

However, OUAT just didn't seem to grasp the concept of taking the time to develop pre-existing characters. Rather, they just kept introducing more and more until it got confusing and just aggravating to watch. The multiple villains of each season they tried to introduce and weave into the pasts of main characters just made the show way too complicated and (yes, I know it's literally a show about fairy tale characters) less believable.

7. New Girl

New Girl was so funny at the beginning. We see Jess and the guys beginning to bond, as they grow acclimated to her quirky personality and even begin to need her around. It's incredibly cute... until it's incredibly annoying. Yes, Jess is supposed to be kind of weird and have the whole "naive, bug-eyed, squeaky voice" thing going on, but it's way too overplayed to the point where you almost begin to despise her because of all the stupid things she says and does.

The one good thing I will say about New Girl that they got right is the progression of Cece and Schmidt's characters. While some shows seem to make characters revert to the worst versions of themselves, Cece and Schmidt only develop for the better as the seasons go on... it's still probably not on my winter watch list though.