Why You Should Binge Watch "Black Mirror"

"Once I hit that button, that's it. You're locked out."​

191

Binge-watching shows on Netflix is probably my favorite hobby, and I've become very good at it — especially after watching "Supernatural" and Marvel's series. But recently, Netflix released tons of new shows. I don't even know when I'll be able to finish watching these series — so many shows, so little time. Despite having zero time, I always manage to binge-watch as many shows as I can. The other day, I received a notification from Netflix about a new show being released called "Black Mirror," and thankfully seasons 1-3 are available — thank you Netflix. If you have never heard of "Black Mirror," the show is cringe-worthy and suspenseful, showing the dark side of human life in a fictional near-future. It couldn't get any darker than the latest "Walking Dead," but I don't want to ruin it for some of you. Perhaps what makes this show so intriguing is the stellar cast line-up, including Jon Hamm, Hayley Atwell, Toby Kebbell, Rafe Spall, and many more. If you enjoyed watching "The Twilight Zone," then you'll love this show. What else could you ask for? They have Jon Hamm in it! Nowadays, everyone is extremely attached to technology and social media mediums, including myself, but watching the first few episodes of "Black Mirror" made me think even more in depth about just how transfixed we millennials are by our social media and technology. At this point, I think it's safe to say that watching this series is totally worth both my time and yours, but if you need any more reason, here are just some of the reasons why you should binge watch the latest hit show from Netflix. *RIP social life, long live binge-watching.*

1. THIS SHOW IS SO FREAKIN' DARK

As I have mentioned before, "Black Mirror" showcases the dark side of technology and how it can or will affect us in the near future. Although it's obviously affecting us already, this show expands upon some of our biggest fears. Creepy and dark! Brooker, creator of this amazing show, commented that “If technology is a drug – and it does feel like a drug – then what, precisely, are the side effects?” Well, he has a point there about how technology is really a drug and we tend to abuse it. Pretty scary, right?

2. GREAT CAST SELECTION

One of the reasons I love watching this show is because of their casting choice. I was extremely surprised to see Jon Hamm of "Mad Men," Bryce Dallas Howard of "Jurassic World," Toby Kebbell from "Warcraft," and Alice Eve from "Star Trek: Into The Darkness!!" Pretty impressive cast.

3. VISUAL EFFECTS

Another reason why I love this show is because of their amazingly detailed visual effects. According to Painting Practice, "Each episode had it’s own set of challenges, from budget to location and VFX, but we came through with flying colours and ended up with a show that looks just at home on the big screen as it does in your front room." 10/10 visual effects. If you're interested more about "Black Mirror's" visual effects, check out this amazing article by TCP.

After watching a few episodes, it will make you think more deeply about your social media usage and human technological advancements. It invites us to think about how we should be careful with our latest trends and how it's going to affect us in the long term. It can get a little bit scary how this show can become reality one day. Now, it's time for you to go ahead and start watching it! Just like Carrie Brownstein says, "NEXT EPISODE! NEXT EPISODE! NEXT EPISODE!" I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and good luck sleeping.