Billboard Top Ten Review

Billboard Top Ten Review

I go down the Top Ten and give you my unsolicited opinion on all ten of these songs.

14
Billboard Top Ten Review
Audiomack

It is no secret that Billboard is really the pinnacle of music success in today's day and age. If you are a songwriter and your song has made it to the Top Ten of the Billboard Hot 100, you know you've made it. That being said, Billboard ranks its songs based on popularity, not quality. Which means just because a song makes it into the Top Ten, doesn't always means the song is good. How much of the current Top Ten is worth listening to? I'm going to scan through all ten songs and tell you in my Billboard Top Ten Review.

10. Don't Wanna Know: Maroon 5 featuring Kendrick Lamar

I've certainly heard worse from Maroon 5, but it isn't good enough for me to jump back on their bandwagon. (Yes I was once a Maroon 5 fan.) However, this song hops on the growing trend of reggae revivalism that has overall proven to be a failed experiment that should have been abandoned when Drake failed to make it sound good. This is easily the best use of reggae pop I have heard all year, and the vibe fits well with Adam Levine's vocals. Unfortunately, Kendrick Lamar is completely wasted and honestly has no reason to be here in the first place. But it's Kendrick Lamar and he never makes a track worse by being on it. Overall this is not a bad song, I'd give it a tentative recommendation if you are a fan of Maroon 5. Or you're nostalgic for tropical reggae for some reason.

9.Broccoli: DRAM featuring Lil Yachty

If you can trudge through Lil Yachty's verse at the beginning of the song you will find that it is a great time to listen to. Even better if you hit the grass while doing so.

8. Let Me Love You: DJ Snake featuring Justin Bieber

After this song and the year he had in 2015, I will never give Justin Bieber a hard time about anything ever again. Okay I wouldn't go that far, but Justin seems to be pumping out hit after hit these past two years, and I have liked almost all of them. This is no exception, Justin should work with producers like DJ Snake, Major Lazer, and Skrillex more often. No this song isn't reinventing the wheel, and yes it sounds a lot like the other songs DJ Snake and Justin Bieber have done in the past. Both these artists are kind of one trick ponies in that regard, but it has a very nice chorus that you can dance to and it has excellent songwriting. Definitely recommend this.

7. Heathens: Twenty One Pilots

This is by no means Twenty One Pilots best work, but it works well for what it is, which is a movie soundtrack cut for Suicide Squad. It fits well in the movie but when you take it out of the movie and just listen to the song by itself it loses a lot. Not a bad song, but you can skip this.

6. Side to Side: Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj

More pop reggae! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Yes, that is sarcasm. Although it does have a baritone sax in the low end of the mix that sounds pretty cool. It gives it a little bit of grit to an otherwise sterile pop track. Ariana's performance is fine, and Nicki's verse is actually better than I expected. I'm actually struggling to fault this song because for all of the reasons that this song should have been a disaster, it is actually not. That's it, this is a pretty good song.

5. Juju On That Beat (TZ Anthem): Zay Hillfigerrrr featuring Zayion McCall

Now this is a disaster. This is a dance track created by generic rapper No. 1 and generic rapper No. 2. Number two's verse actually isn't that bad. He flows pretty well on the beat. But the lyrics are throw away rap lyrics. The dance this song is about isn't even the main topic of the song. And the beat is amateur hip hop production. This is 2016's "Watch Me Whip and Nae Nae."

4. 24k Magic: Bruno Mars

This song is amazing. I don't even know what i can say about it that hasn't already been said about it. It's upbeat, it's happy, it's jubilant, it's bright, and it's perfect.

3. Starboy: The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk

I love the instrumental to this song, but I am confused as to what this song is actually about. The verses are about two totally different things, and the chorus is about something different from either verse. I still love this song though. The instrumental by itself makes this song.

2. Closer: The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey

This has been a huge year for The Chainsmokers, this is now their second Top Ten of 2016. I guess after the monstrosity that was #Selfie they wanted to prove to the masses that they can actually make music. And they have proven just that in my book. I liked their first Top Ten hit "Don't Let Me Down," and I like this one even more. I believe I'm in the minority on that opinion but for me it's all in the lyrics. From a personal standpoint I totally get this song. It's about a couple who had one good night that turned into something more, and then they had to leave each other. That's at least what I get out of it, or what I choose to see it as. The point is this song tugs at my heartstrings, which far exceeds the expectations I had for the two morons who brought us "Selfie." If they could make music like this, why in God's name would they waste time with "Selfie?"

1. Black Beatles: Rae Sremmurd featuring Gucci Mane

Oh dear. This song isn't the worst thing Rae Sremmurd has ever done. The chorus actually has a melody and a pretty catchy one at that. The beat also has some drive to it as well, it isn't the slow, syrupy slog that these guys usually rap over. However, the lyrics to this song is an absolute affront to any decent music listener with taste. The title "Black Beatles" as well as the chorus implies that Rae Sremmurd and Gucci Mane are the black versions of the Beatles. Yes, these guys actually believe that they are the black versions of John Lennon -who is referred to by name in this song-, Sir Paul Mcartney, and Ringo Starr. Anyone who has ever listened to The Beatles should have involuntarily shuddered just by reading that.

That's it for this week. Overall a pretty solid week for the Top Ten. If you have heard any of these songs and have a different opinion, or have the same opinion, comment and let me know. I love discussing music with other people. These next couple weeks are going to be extremely busy. I have three albums that are coming out next week that i want to review, then I'm going to do some year end countdowns for the best and worst that this year had to offer in music. Til then, keep living, keep laughing, and keep loving. I'll see you on the other side.