Interview: Bijou Bijou

Interview: Bijou Bijou

After releasing her latest single "Thing For You," Bijou Bijou discussed music, inspirations and more.

169
Interview: Bijou Bijou

South African pop-artist Bijou Bijou has recently released her latest single "Thing For You" to fully prepare listeners for an incredible summer ahead of time and get them ready for the arguably best season of the year. This single follows her popular last single "Calfornia Calls" which received a plethora of attention back in 2018. In an exclusive interview with Odyssey, Bijou Bijou opened up about her new single, life as an artist and more.

What can you tell us about the newest single "Thing For You" and its message?

"Thing For You" is a very cute honest song about crushes, the fear of rejection and all the fun stuff that goes along with it. I'm the type of person that likes to think I'm smooth when in reality I'm the exact opposite! I'm very uncool when it comes to having confidence in front of someone I'm attracted to. I'm also super self-conscious and that why I sing "nothing special but ill make you laugh," I'm no Instagram model but I have good wit and I make myself laugh.

How does this track compare to music you have released in the past?

This track has the same summer vibe to it, but it's not as intense in the sense of lyrics. It steers away from the more seriousness of my other songs and adds that cute factor in that is missing from the other songs. It definitely has a more commercial sound to it which I thought would be cool to try out and try reach some more ears.

Who were your musical inspirations growing up?

I grew up on some pretty awesome artists (thanks mom and dad). The main inspirations vocally would probably be Christina Aguilera (come on... we all loved her), Lana Del Rey, The XX, Stevie Nicks, Janis Joplin, Etta James, Billie Holiday, Nancy Sinatra and a few more.

Your single "California Calls" is a mass success! How does it feel to have people supporting your music and such dedicated fans?

IT WAS CRAZY. I screamed and danced around when New Music Friday added me to their playlist. For someone that always feared rejection to receive that kind of support was mind-blowing! I don't even know if I have a fan base, it's pretty cool if I do though! It's surreal to be apart of this and it adds tons of motivation to keep making more music and to make the dream come true. I truly am grateful to each and every listener.

If you could tour with any artist this summer, who would it be and why?

What a question! I would like to tour with Halsey. She seems like a rad girl and an amazing artist.

What has been a highlight of your career thus far?

This. The playlists. The support. It's all incredible, I'd have to say this whole journey has been one big highlight and a very unexpected one too. Who knew I didn't suck? (besides my best friend and my dog).

What can fans look forward to in the near or distant future?

I have a lot of what some would call "unrealistic goals." Moving to LA and trying out different genres of music is a massive one. So far I can say my next single 'Voodoo Man' and a few more singles. I'd love to tour a bit and meet these fans and put on some insanely awesome shows.

Be sure to follow Bijou Bijou on Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.