"Big Fish" Created From A Big Imagination

A short review on the movie called "Big Fish."

391
Covers

I have never seen "Big Fish" nor have I ever read the book, but I was very blown away by this movie. The plot had me at the edge of my seat, and it was able to keep my attention throughout entire viewing of it.

The scene that remains strongest to me is the scene where Edward Bloom is restoring all of Spectre. The town, when Edward first appears, reminds me of something out of a Dr. Seuss book. The colors, the characters and its setting caused Edward to instantly to fall right in. Shortly, he left. This is what stands out the most to me. Edward leaving caused the people of this town to change that caused the entire town to crumble as well. When he comes back with intentions of buying the town, the people begin to remember why they lived the way they did. It was almost as if the character of Edward played a “savior-like” role to these people. It also added to Edward’s character development.

There are two universal themes that I can think of off the top of my head. The first one is that one must always hold onto their hopes and desires. The relationship between Edward and Mrs. Bloom was incredible. She was his muse. He only wanted her, and through the distance, times and challenges, he was able to do so. Another central theme is that, no matter who you are, you will always impact someone. This theme became crystal clear at Edward’s funeral. He impacted so many people with love that it caused them to appreciate and love back. Both of these films I find relevant and easy enough to apply to my own life. I can do this by simply making sure I am always smiling or “paying it forward” to the people around me. It serves more as a reminder to myself to always be a good person.

I think this film makes a significant statement to appreciate the good things. That could be a cloudy statement, but it is there to express that people need to take a second and embrace what is going on around them, as well as their memories. There are little things that are happening that they will look back on, and they will only wish to relive that moment.

The title, "Big Fish," is so perfect for this movie in many ways. The main one is the introduction of the fish at the beginning, and then how it ties it comes back at the end. It symbolizes two things here. First, the completion of a full circle throughout a plot. Second, it represents the entire life of Edward Bloom. Edward Bloom turns into the fish, once his life is completed, to symbolize that this chapter was completed, and it was time to move onto something else.

Tim Burton’s most colorful scene was the introduction of the city of Spectre. There were so many lights, whites and smiles. The lights represent happiness while the whites represent the innocence and pureness of this town and its people. The smiles just make the transition for happiness easier. Edward Bloom was also in darker colors during this scene, and he later changed into something that became more “fitting” for the atmosphere. He was filled with the town’s happiness.

This movie was probably my favorite one so far out of all the movies that we have watched. There was such great visuals, the actors did amazing and the plot line really had a grasp on my attention. I really look forward to watching this movie again. And in future conversations, I will most definitely recommend this movie for others to watch. It’s more than just a kid’s movie. Adults can get something out of it, too. I know I did.