An Open Letter To To My First Best Friend—My Big Brother

Thank You To The Best Big Brother, My First Best Friend And Biggest Fan

Because I can't get your face tattooed on the bottom of my foot.

633
Jasmine Rainey

An open letter to my older brother, who has taught me lessons about life, family, and relationships. Through this heartfelt letter, we are all reminded that the people we are brought into the world with are the ones we should always fight for. Isaiah, our relationship may not be the perfect example of what sibling-ship should be, but it means the world to me.

Jasmine Rainey

Isaiah,

I believe the first memory I have of you is when you dropped me on my nose at daycare when you picked me up by my shirt while you were on roller blades. As traumatic as that may have been it taught me my first lesson — do not trust anyone on any form of wheel. Seriously though, from the minute I was born you have done nothing but support and look after me.

When I was in the fifth grade and being bullied you did not hesitate to step in and protect me. Going even farther back, when I was just baby you made sure I had every single opportunity that you had, and when we were in the pool together you were always there to make sure I was safe. It took me seventeen years to realize how much of an amazing brother you have been.

Jasmine Rainey

I vividly remember the Christmas eves when you would come and stay awake with me until morning. All the times we took on the neighborhood bullies and all the times you would take me out for ice cream. I've told you this before but you are objectively the family member I love the most, we have struggled through the same things yet you have persevered so gracefully.

Isaiah, you have taught me so much, how to address my problems, how to handle mom and dad, and how to keep a strong relationship. You are my best friend, and I am so happy that I have finally realized that.

Jasmine Rainey

No matter where you go or how far away we drift apart, you will always be my best friend. I know you will only ever be a call away and I hope you know I will be the same. I am no longer afraid of growing up because I see how responsible and successful you have become, and if you ever forget that I will be here to remind you.

If there is one thing I want you to know above everything else is that I love you and we will not make the mistakes of those before us. One day, everything we struggle with will be behind us and we will be living the lives we've dreamed about for years. I love you, Isaiah.

With Love,

Your sister, Jasmine