I'm Thankful For My Big Because She Adores Me At My Worst And Admires Me At My Best

She knows that being a big isn’t something you do but something you are.

270
Grace Wilkowski

Just like most women in a sorority, I have a big. My big became my big the second week of joining my chapter. I knew she would be my big the night I met her.

We had an exchange with a fraternity, it was a neon theme. For this night Baylee, my big, saw my outfit of neon green shorts and white jersey and immediately started taking pictures.

She wasn’t a regular mom, she was a cool mom.

She supported my crazy acts while still ensuring I knew the value of myself and the importance of having good manners in all situations. This all leads me to love and idolize her. The day I found out she was my big I was the happiest little in the world. With that being said, I didn’t understand the importance of a big.

A big sister is the one who supports your crazy endeavors while simultaneously pushing you forward into the person you are meant to be.

She adores you at your worst and admires you at your best.

Baylee does that.

She held me while I cried as my family couldn’t make it to Dad’s weekend and fed me Cheetos when refused to stop studying for food. She supports me while I write about the hard stuff and celebrates with me when it’s a hit. She loves me unconditionally and has shown me what a true friend is.

My big is the best because to her being a big isn’t just something you do but something you are.

Right now, my big is traveling Europe and finding herself. Even across the world she always finds a way to love me from afar. Whether it be a care package for Valentine's day or a song that reminded her of me, she impacts me in little ways almost every day.

She teaches me strength and humility through her own actions. She lives in compassion and determination and I have never met a woman as loving as her. She is the best big and my best friend because she leads by example and I admire her for that.