When Worry Hits, Who Do You Rely On?

When Worry Hits, Who Do You Rely On?

Bible verses and advice for the anxious.

12
When Worry Hits, Who Do You Rely On?
successimg.com

School has started and everyone is getting back into the swing of busy schedules, homework, and extracurricular activities. As exciting as it is to get back into a normal schedule, I am reminded of how much I struggle with anxiety and worry. As I am loaded with homework, lots of dance, and trying to find a balance between school and my social life, waves of worry and anxiety crash over me as I am constantly trying to figure everything out. I am reminded I cannot do this alone. I need Jesus now more than ever!

As I was reading my devotions these past few days, I noticed that all of my devotions had the same themes: strength, refuge, and peace. How fitting that as schedules pick up and life gets a little more hectic, God offers us strength and refuge when things get tough and overwhelming, and he gives us peace when we are worrying about things that are out of our control. God is with us now and forever, and he is waiting with open arms to help us out in good times and bad. Worrying is actually a sin, believe it or not. When we worry, we are telling God that we don’t trust that he can help us through whatever we are going through when, in reality, he is a constant in our life. We just have to reach out and grab it.

Lately I have felt myself getting emotionally, mentally, and physically drained because I am trying to handle everything on my own, so I decided to take a step back and reflect. I asked myself these simple questions: Why am I worrying? Am I worrying about something I cannot control? Do I trust that God will be with me and deliver me…am I truly relying on him? As I reflected, I realized I need to give over everything to God because he knows best and will only do what is best for me. I need to trust the process and find peace in Gods perfect plan for my life.

There is no need for me to worry because God has got me right where he wants me to be. When trials test you, instead of worrying about it, take that time to draw closer to God, because he is far more able to deliver us than we are. If we can't trust the all-powerful, all-knowing God of the universe to help us through the little problems we experience throughout the day, who can we rely on? The best option is to trust God and that is what I am choosing to do from now on. I have decided to rely on Jesus -- what will you choose to rely on?

Here are some verses I find extremely helpful when I am worrying just a bit too much.

Deuteronomy 33:27 “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.”

Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear.”

Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your heart and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all who are weary and I will give you rest.”

John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

2 Thessalonians 3:16 “Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord with all of you.”

Psalm 55:22 “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.”