Bible Application

Bible Application

Can you recite ten Bible verses? Five? Can you give me the general idea of seven? If you can, good for you! Keep going. If you couldn’t, let’s talk.

39
Bible Application
BibleRead.com

One of the many ways God can speak to us is through His Word. Just like an author here on earth expresses their thoughts and ideas, God tells us and gives us His wisdom and guidance through the Bible. I’ve always had trouble reading my Bible. I go to a private school and we read the Bible for homework. So after that, I don’t ever want to read my Bible. I always give the excuse- “I already did my reading for today.” But I didn’t really. So I try setting aside half an hour each day to read my Bible. And for some people, that works and that’s great! But I’ve found that designating certain amounts of time to read the Bible per day does not help me. Or, I tell myself to read two or four chapters each day at a certain time. I’m stuck at square one- I don’t enjoy reading my Bible, and I don’t understand how to.

The Bible isn’t just like all of those other books out there. It is The Book. The ultimate adventure, mystery, betrayal, drama, action, and romance book out there. (And it’s based on a true story!)

You know that feeling you get when you’re into a really great book and you just cannot put it down? The kind of book you open at every free moment that makes you forget where you are. That’s what my Bible has been for me in even the last couple of days. I can’t get enough of it! “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:33 NIV) You have to take that first step and desire God’s word. And if you find yourself making excuses, pray! I pray to God for weeks on end to create a desire in me for Him. A desire to excel and understand and to grow in His teachings.

Don’t be afraid or discouraged if you can’t find yourself getting into it. I know many of us have heard the stories too many times to count, but there is always something new you can glean from them! And with our technology today, you can easily look up a different version of the same stories you know so well. Besides the stories that have been made into songs and movies, there are so many more different stories in there that most people overlook.

One summer, I went to a camp and I wanted to read, but I didn’t bring any books with me. My counselor had an extra Bible with her and let me borrow it. I was sitting on the top of my bunk, thinking, “Ok. Sure, let’s see if I can find a story that I like.” I randomly opened the book up to the first chapter of First Judges. By the third or fourth day, I had read both First and Second Judges. There are some pretty AWESOME people in there! Lots of action and fighting. Seriously, if you like action, I guarantee that you will not find anything else as good as what is in the books, Judges. (Those judges definitely laid out some judgment!)

A good book will take you on a journey or thousands of adventures. Morgan Maddox writes about how she has taken her favorite book on a journey of its own and now puts it to rest. But fear not, for a new journey awaits with even more surprises. “Some say a woman is about to change her life when she gets a new haircut, but I would more readily admit that a woman longs to change her life when she gets a new Bible. Love the pages weathered by 5 years of actual weather camp, travel, tears, questions, mud, coffee, teaching, marking, and learning- thankful they remain the same even when I add my mess of imperfections to the mix.”

It’s beautiful to see others acknowledge the literary genius and value in God’s Word. This should not make you feel less righteous or any less godly than them, but rather encourage you to find joy in what your Father has to say to you. He wants to talk to you so bad. Please, don’t shut the door. All you have to do is open a book and read.