Bhagavad-Gita

Bhagavad-Gita

The Relationship Between Literary Gods And Morals
357

The Bhagavad-Gita, meaning “Song of the Lord,” remains one of the most ancient scriptures in existence. The poem displays divine consultation between Arjuna and Lord Krishna, man and his creator, on the battlefield. Arjuna represents the whole of humanity while Krisha represents deity. On account of the Bhagavad-Gita remaining as an ultimate source of infinite wisdom, the epic also prevails as a sacred Hindu doctrine which contains rich symbolism and metaphorical stories woven together. Legend has it that the entire knowledge of world is contained in the great Gita, and a seeker or explorer need not to search any further once he obtains the Gita. The Bhagavad-Gita provides divine insights on the relationship between man and god while explaining how man can reach the heights of ecstasy by becoming one with his creator.

Note that realization of reality contains vital importance of the world in which people live. Accept the impermanent. Notice the source of all delusion and suffering and the fallacy of the world as a whole. Due to the materialistic approach followed by men, suffering and delusion are subject to occur. Unfortunately, mortals crave permanence, especially pertaining to money and fame. In contrast, everything is subject to change in reality. He who clings to the impermanent world will always endure suffering. The world is unreal since the world constantly changes, thus cannot be relied upon to be the purpose of one’s existence. Even emperors will only be left with their souls, the divine parts of them. The external soul is the only permanent factor. Understanding this theory liberates one from anguish.

"Know the reality about yourself. Who you are and what you are really. Know that you are neither the body nor the mind and the true self can neither be slain nor hurt. It is eternal, divine and transcendental." Man has three things, the mortal body, the intellectual mind and the eternal soul. It is impossible for man to understand the relationship between him and God without first understanding what he is. Man identifies himself with the body and mind which are in fact mortal aspects of him which will soon wither away. He lives life in fear of being slain or hurt as a result of this. The Bhagavad-Gita asks man to understand that his true self is the immortal soul. To forget the soul is to forget God, as the soul is the essence of man’s godhood. It is the spark of the divine fire.

Moreover, human senses are responsible for various desires. The senses lead to attachment and instability of mind, and restraining one’s senses can help you achieve the ultimate stability of mind, which is key to self-realization. The key to self-realization has been explained. Self-realization is nothing but realizing the soul and thus establishing contact with God. Revelation implies that the only obstacles standing in the way are desires and attachment. To transcend the senses and thus all desires makes man impervious to opposites like pain and pleasure, happiness and unhappiness, etc. Such a man who has transcended the mind will feel ultimate bliss which is beyond both contentment and discomfort. All duality has ended and there is state of oneness with all. This is the feeling one attains when he has established contact with the God in him.

Equally important, Gita urges people to understand true nature of their actions and inaction and how they bind a person to the world and cause suffering. This teaching embodies extreme value. One needs to understand that it is not action which causes suffering but the desires behind ones action which corrupts the whole deed. For this reason, we all should strive to act as an offering to God with complete detachment and no expectations. Not to mention that even inaction is a sin as one who fails to do his duty is creating bad karma for himself. If man sees himself as a mere instrument of the divine and performs every action without desires and attachments and without seeking the fruits of his action, such a man will be doing true renunciation, in effect, growing closer to God.

In the same fashion, people should know the supreme self to be all pervading. Accept that God is cause of all that happens and the real doer in life. All humans need to surrender to God completely and offer everything they have to him. This is the essence of God. He is present everywhere and is the creator of all things living and non-living. He is both the cause and the effect, the creator and the destroyer. In short, all that you do and receive is through him. Man is a mere instrument of the divine play. Once every part of your being understands this great truth, you will naturally surrender to the divine. Each and every act you do will be an offering to God. Such a man is able to cultivate the quality of purity and is able to experience ultimate love of God. He has established complete connection with God and his whole existence is a devotion to the almighty. Every act is filled with gratitude for the creator and no second passes without realizing His unconditional love.

In the final analysis, the Bhagavad-Gita assists the inquirer to analyze the workings of his delusional ego and shows the presence of God within himself. The Bhagavad-Gita remains a treatise which teaches one to look within to establish a relationship with the creator. The epic is amongst rare scriptures which aide the complete flowering of one's being by unlocking the eternal wisdom of the soul.