#BeThere To Combat Veteran Suicide Rates

Twenty individuals could be saved each day, if they knew they were accepted, wanted, and understood.

59
Johnson & Johnson via YouTube

Twenty veterans take their lives every day.

Twenty.

Those are 20 individuals who bravely sacrificed their well being, time and energy to make our country free.

Those are 20 individuals who aided our country in keeping others free.

Those are 20 individuals who left their families behind to serve our country.

Those are 20 individuals who could be saved each day if they knew they were accepted, wanted and understood.

In conjunction with Johnson & Johnson, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has launched a campaign called #BeThere.

No matter what political party you are, or whether you support the current administration, this message is an important one.

Veterans in crisis need a support system, and that support system could be you.

You can change the lives of any person through being there but especially veterans.

Giving someone a support system or even one supporting one person can change their outlook.

Showing that you are willing to help gives them someone to turn to in a crisis.

It can be as simple as checking in on someone through a phone call.

They sacrificed for us, so you can "sacrifice" some of your time for them.

I don't see it as sacrificing anything, though. I see it as being a truly connected friend or loved one, something we should be doing for everyone.

As the campaign says, try to connect more with a veteran you know.

It could be a family member, your neighbor, someone at your place of worship or even someone at your school.

Just like you, they are going through struggles. They may be different struggles or the same, but they are still struggles.

Veterans in crisis shouldn't feel alone. They shouldn't feel like they have no one to talk to.

Take the time to be there for them, because, like the video said, no one should be left behind.

To learn more about the campaign and how to help, visit http://bethereforveterans.org.