I Can't Stop Watching Videos By Jeffree Star And These 9 Other YouTubers

I'm no beauty guru, but I can dream, right?

53

I may be alone on this boat, but I find I often get so bored with the media I'm consuming. I constantly crave something different. I typically can combat this issue by simply changing the platform where I'm consuming my media. I'll watch Netflix shows for a while, then I'll switch to Hulu. Then cable. Then I tear out the DVDs before circling back to Netflix.

My cycle was broken when I discovered (very recently) that YouTube actually houses more than just Crash Course videos. I know, John Green is quaking.

But honestly, I first began watching YouTube videos for entertainment over the summer. I don't know why I was so far behind on that phenomenon, but I'm here now! I was overwhelmed by the quality of the videos I found and the talent that these creators have. I love that I can watch videos and learn about 20 different things over the span of an hour. Honestly, I'd take five Shane Dawson videos over an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" any day.

Now, most of these creators are beauty gurus, and I can't blend my eyeshadow if my life depended on it. But, damn are they fun to watch.

Here are the 10 YouTubers I currently can't stop watching:

1. Jeffree Star

Despite the negative scandals Jeffree always seems to find himself in, I can't stop myself from watching every single review he pus out, just to see if the products I literally can't afford are Jeffree Star Approved.

Jeffree's candid attitude and sassy sense of humor always has me saying, "just one more video," until all of a sudden it's 3 a.m.

2. Shane Dawson

Shane Dawson. I literally can't do his work on YouTube justice in any capacity. He's been on YouTube actually forever, and just won this year's Streamy award for Creator of the Year.

His older work (yes, I've driven myself deep into the depths of his content way too many nights) consists of original sketches, life hacks, parodies and conspiracy videos. But he's recently began taking a more journalistic approach to his content, filming and producing several short series on YouTube about prominent pop culture icons and their lives including Jeffree Star and Jake Paul.

3. Ryland Adams 

Ryland, Shane Dawson's boyfriend, is a journalist-turned-YouTuber who never fails to make me (or his grandma) cry with his genuine character and sense of humor.

4. Morgan Adams

Of course, if I'm going to include Shane and Ryland, I have to include Ryland's sister Morgan. She's honestly one of the only vloggers I can watch. She talks to her viewers like we're her best friends, and I appreciate that intimacy.

5. Garrett Watts

Might as well include the whole Dawson Gang, amirite?? Garrett's videos are light-hearted and pure, most of the time, and honestly they just make me calm and comfortable. I prefer that over a drama-filled T.V. show that makes my blood pressure rise.

6. Laura Lee

I'll be honest, I didn't start watching Laura Lee until her "apology" video was released a few months ago. I actually hadn't heard of her before that.

When her old racist tweets were exposed, Laura Lee released a video "taking full responsibility" for her actions.

I honestly didn't buy it.

I don't subscribe to her channel, but I can't help myself when a video of her's pops up on my "suggested" tab. Her southern accent makes me feel a bit closer to my central North Carolina hometown, and makes her makeup challenge videos all the more entertaining.

7.  Brad Mondo 

A recent discovery of mine, Brad Mondo is a hairdresser who seems to post a lot of videos reacting to DIY hair fails. He cringes as young women attempt to bleach their hair at home, dye their hair with box dyes or give themselves an at-home hair cut.

While I have never dyed my hair on my own, I definitely am not planning on doing so now. His videos get over two million views on average, and he's just entertaining to watch.

Also, I know so much more about how toners work now...

8. Jaclyn Hill

Jaclyn Hill, yet another beauty guru I'll never actually learn anything from. But not for her lack of trying, just because of my lack of talent.

Jaclyn Hill has had her fair share of scandals in the beauty community, but I just watch her videos and feel like she's my BFF chatting with me about her life.

I love that.

Jaclyn seems just so sweet, and I love watching people spend more money on makeup than I spend on literally anything.

9. James Charles

James Charles is one of those makeup artists I never wanted to like. But honestly, it's so interesting to watch his process and see the passion he has about makeup and the beauty industry.

10. Trisha Paytas 

What can I say? Watching her eat is addictive. Watching her shop is addictive. Listening to all her first-world problems is... addictive.

Do I think it's healthy for her audience to watch her consume thousands of calories in one sitting? No. But you've got to hand it to her—she makes the most normal, simplest things entertaining. She sits in her living room and films herself eating entire pizzas alone. If I sat down in my living room and filmed myself eating like that or filmed my Target shopping sprees, my mom might actually believe me when I tell her I need therapy.

It's always fascinating to me when someone can make doing nothing interesting, and Trisha is the queen of that—and her videos get millions of views, so I'm not the only one who thinks so.

All jokes aside, I have a feeling my GPA is going to suffer this semester. Because, if we're being real, I've spent way more time watching these YouTubers and their addictive content than I have doing any type of studying.

But at least my sense of humor has all but suffered.

As a journalism major, I'm always captivated by the way creators keep their audience interested in their content and these creators have all created empires of viewers and fans by doing just that.