Matching tattoos and why they are the best

Why my favorite tatoo is the one I have matching with my best friend

53
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_SJ0hEscwf.jpeg

You always hear about how you should never get a matching tattoo with someone. But despite all the warnings, I did anyway.

Luckily, it wasn't with some temporary boy or a friend who I fight with all the time.

I got a matching tattoo with my best friend.

On my right bicep is a picture of a skeleton hand with the middle and ring finger being held down by the thumb. I like to call it the "rock and roll hand."

Out of everything we could've got, why on earth did we choose some super metal skeleton hand?

Let me explain.

My best friend and I went to the same high school for two years before we met. We passed by each other countless times around campus, seen each other at sports events and I had even seen her at Chipotle while she was working a few times. It wasn't until the very end of sophomore year that I saw her on my social media accounts and decided to follow her. Almost instantly, we began to interact with each other by retweeting, favoriting and commenting. But there was one tweet in particular that sparked the IRL friendship we have today.

I tweeted, "Someone please take me to a local pop punk concert."

To which she replied, "gotchu."

After that, our relationship exploded into long conversations about music. We talked about every band under the sun who has ever helped us or gave us strength and hope. We began hanging out and showing each other new songs that we would both enjoy. Sooner than we both knew, we became best friends.

You know, the ones who hang out and text all the time. The ones who send ugly snap chats to each other and all that jazz.

Throughout junior we grew closer by going on camping trips together and attending a few concerts together.

But during our senior year in high school, we were inseparable. We had the same class together and saw each other whenever we could. She was so involved in student council, media tech, volleyball, and about every other club around campus but that would never stop her from leaving in the middle of class to come hug me in the hallway or come to class a little late to bring me Dutch Bro's. This is when she really became my best friend.

This year, we have (finally) graduated and started college and are on our way to be the people we have always hoped we would be. This year I (finally) celebrated my 18th birthday. This year we (finally) got a matching tattoos. The "rock and roll hand" symbolizes more than just our mutual love for punk and heavy metal music. It symbolizes the roots of our friendship and how our love for similar music brought us unbelievably close to where she is more than just my best friend.

Getting this tattoo was one of the best things I did this year and I will never regret this. I know we won't be physically together for our whole life, but when I look down at my right bicep, I know that I will never have to walk this world without having her by my side.

Authors note: Originally posted on October 31, 2017