The Best And Worst Parts Of Chicago Winters

From the beautiful skyline, to the bone-chilling wind chills, Chicago has a unique winter season that one won't forget.

619

Chicago is home to very beautiful, miserable, snowy, and cold winters. It's what makes them so significant and special. There are plenty of cool things to see and positives of Chicago winters, but a plethora of negatives as well.

Positive: Ice Skating

One of the new additions to the downtown area is Maggie Daley Park. It is a big ribbon where you can ice skate with the Chicago skyline in the background. It's an unbelievable view.

If you still haven't satisfied your ice skating needs you can head over to Millennium Park where there is another ice skating rink sitting just below the bean!

Whether you go to Millennium Park or Maggie Daley Park, you're still in for some very fascinating sights.

Negative: It's Cold

Wind chill is a real thing in Chicago. Since coming to school I was always curious as to how cold it would get down in Missouri, and so far it has been nothing compared to Chicago. It's mid-December and I wore shorts today.

That doesn't happen in Chicago. The cold, miserable wind will feel like nails drilling your legs.

The Windy City is ranked by the Weather Channel as the sixth-coldest major U.S. city in 2014. Whenever Chicagoans ask what the weather is like in the winter, they will always have the follow-up question which is, "What is the wind chill?" It is a game changer and makes going outside miserable.

Positive: The City

Chicago is one of, if not the prettiest city during the winter. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

That's just a snapshot of what it's really like. It's perfect.

Negative: Snow

*Chicago isn't perfect in the winter.

Snow is great until the holidays are over, but Mother Nature is relentless and likes to pile up as much snow as possible until mid-spring.

Chicago has been the victim of many, many snowstorms and blizzards, not to mention the snow can fall as early as October or as late as April. Now this doesn't mean all snow is bad, but Chicago always manages to get either an inch of snow or a foot of snow.

Even though there are some very rough parts of winter in Chicago, the positives outweigh the negatives, and the unique season is what makes citizens of the Chicago area proud to be Chicagoans.