17 Of The Most Memorable J.R.R. Tolkien Quotes

17 Memorable J.R.R. Tolkien Quotes

Whether you need a life quote or an Instagram caption, Tolkien's got you covered.

113
jrr tolkien quotes

.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."

From "The Fellowship of the Ring."

"The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out."

From "The Fellowship of the Ring."

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

From "The Fellowship of the Ring."

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

From "The Fellowship of the Ring."

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks."

From "The Hobbit."

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

From "The Fellowship of the Ring."

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

From "The Hobbit."

"You have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have."

From "The Fellowship of the Ring."

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

From "The Two Towers."

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

From "The Two Towers."

"It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: someone has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them."

From "The Return of the King."

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

From "The Return of the King."

"Oft hope is born when all is forlorn."

From "The Return of the King."

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till."

From "The Return of the King."

"Above all shadows rides the Sun / and Stars for ever dwell: / I will not say the Day is done, / nor bid the Stars farewell."

From "The Return of the King."

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

From "The Fellowship of the Ring."

"The Road goes ever on and on / Down from the door where it began. / Now far ahead the Road has gone, / And I must follow, if I can."

From "The Fellowship of the Ring."