10 Of The Best Things About Fall, As Told By A Summer Girl

"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall." -F. Scott Fitzgerald

46
http://mentalfloss.com/article/600316/reason-why-americans-refer-autumn-fall
Mental Floss

I've always measured my life in summers; in 4th of July fireworks, in lazy, yawning afternoons on the porch, in bathing suits and boardwalk trips and fireflies. I live for the seemingly endless stretch of time between May and August, and nothing brings me more joy than boat rides, sunsets, and weekends down the shore.

I'll always be a summer girl, and I will always crave the feeling of sunshine on my face and the rustle of the sea breeze in my hair, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate fall, too. With the arrival of autumn comes so many great things, and I wanted to share ten of them today!

1. The leaves begin to change color.

One of the best parts of living in the Northeast is getting to experience the leaves changing colors each year. Fall makes me appreciate all of the wooded areas in my hometown so much because more woods means more orange, red, and yellow leaves to enjoy. Nothing beats driving down the road on a rainy day and seeing the vibrant auburn leaves covered in water droplets. It is breathtaking every time!

2. Pumpkin Spice is everywhere.

Pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin chai, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin pie. No matter where you turn, there's a restaurant or coffee chain offering pumpkin-flavored food and beverages, and I'm not even a little bit mad about it. Starbucks' pumpkin cream cold brew has been my personal favorite this year, and I would highly recommend giving it a try!

3. Two words: sweater weather.

Nothing beats waking up and throwing on a cozy, oversized sweater. Not only is it cute, but it's also so simple and comfy! Fall fashion is my favorite, and I'll never pass up the opportunity to dig through the sweater aisle at Marshalls because, really, who doesn't need just one more sweater to complete their fall wardrobe?

4. Riding boots.

Since I mentioned sweaters, of course I have to bring up my other favorite fall fashion staple: riding boots. Riding boots are great because not only are they so comfortable for day-to-day wear, but they're also super versatile. I love that I can dress them up for work with a pair of pixie pants and a sweater, or wear them to class with a crew neck sweatshirt and a vest!

5. Crisp air.

As much as I love the heat, by October I'm more than ready for cooler temperatures. After spending four or five months covered in sweat thanks to the 90-degree weather, it's so nice to bundle up in a sweatshirt, sit outside, and breathe in the cool, crisp fall air.

6. Pumpkin picking.

I love, love, love pumpkin picking! Nothing makes it feel more like fall than taking a hayride out to the pumpkin patch. Plus, the little white pumpkins that they sell make such cute decorations, whether it be for your desk, living room, or kitchen table! Also, of course, you can't forget to pick up a few apple cider donuts while you're at the pumpkin patch!

7. Haunted houses.

I was always incredibly freaked out by haunted attractions and avoided them at all costs. However, a few of my friends talked me into going to Eastern State Penitentiary around Halloween last year, and while I was mildly traumatized at the time, it turned out to be a ton of fun! Now I'm super excited to try out more haunted houses this fall!

8. Carving pumpkins.

I love nothing more than when my whole family gets together during the holidays, and fall is no exception. For the last couple of years, my mom has invited our family over for a pumpkin carving party and it's so much fun to come up with cool pumpkin decorating ideas while spending time with the people who mean the most!

9. Halloween!

Between the spooky vibes in the air, the creative and colorful costumes, and the candy, Halloween is one of the most exciting nights of the year. I love watching my niece and nephew dress up and get excited over the chance to go trick-or-treating. Plus, my family always goes to my grandmom and grandpop's to hand out candy, which is a super fun tradition!

10. Most importantly, Thanksgiving!

I saved the best for last. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, green bean casserole, you name it. Thanksgiving calls for it. Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday between the parade, dinner itself, and the annual toast my mom, my grandmom, my sisters, my niece, and I do.

It's a holiday that is completely focused on family and being grateful for all that you have, which is extremely important to me. Plus, it's the start of the CHRISTMAS season! What's not to love?