Best Spoken Word Poetry, Part I

Best Spoken Word Poetry, Part I

...the kind that will change your life

104
The Scene, Brick and Mortar

As a lover of spoken word poetry, I thought I should share the gems that I found. There really isn't any order because they are all that good. So, please sit back, and enjoy!

1. Hollie McNish - Mathematics

First up is British poet, Hollie McNish. She is a poet and playwright who offers spoken word and slam poetry workshops. The poem is called Mathematics and deals with the social discrimination against immigrants in her home country. It is moving, and her topic even transcends the issues we have here in America.

2. Louis Reyes Rivera - Bullet Cry

I don't even know where to start with this great poet. Born in New York to Puerto Rican parents, Rivera published collections of his poetry that dealt with building "a bridge between the various currents of the underclass." He was more than a poet, he was a teacher, an activist, a translator, and an inspiration to many. In Bullet Cry, which he wrote and performed on the 37th anniversary of Malcolm X's assassination proves more than his talent with the pen, but also of his translation of the pain this horrible event caused.

3. Shane Koyczan - To This Day

Shane Koyczan is a Canadian spoken word poet who writes about a bunch of different topics that span anywhere from bullying to cancer or even eating disorders. This man is so talented that I had a hard time choosing which poem to share, so if you like him please check out his webpage. His most famous poem, To This Day, has more than 19 million views, and it is my mission to spread it even more. Please, please, please, watch, listen and spread this one.

4. Suli Breaks - I Will Not Let Exam Results Decide My Fate

I'm a parent of children in school, I'm also a student, and to top it off, I want to teach at the university level, but I can't pretend that what Suli Breaks says here doesn't have merit. Suli Breaks, a London born, college graduate himself, speaks about loving education, but disliking school and exams. He has almost 9 million views on YouTube, also, he spoke on Tedx event at the House of Parliament, and been featured on Sky News, which has opened a debate on the exam structure within school systems.

5. Joshua Bennett - 10 Things I Want to Say To A Black Woman

Joshua Bennett calls himself not just an artist, but also a scholar. His dream is to create poetry that cultivates living, thinking, and "destabilizes hegemonic conceptions of beauty and strength." 10 Things I Want To Say To A Black Woman is beautifully written and performed, and I had to add it to the collection. See for yourself.

I hope you enjoyed those five spoken word poems. Stay tuned for next week, when I conclude my top ten BEST spoken word poems that will change how you view the world.