7 best places to write

7 of my favorite places to sit down and write

Starbucks isn't just for drinking, and the library isn't just for reading.

278
Brittany James

I always struggled doing homework at home because there were always constant distractions, whether it's one of my pets, or a parent walking in, or my sudden urge to watch T.V...

1. Starbucks

It's not a secret that coffee shops are some of the best places to write, which is why I made it number one on this list. Maybe its just me, but I love the smell of coffee and slowly sipping on a cup as ideas come to mind for my next Odyssey article or homework. It also helps that when I need a small break, I can people watch instead of putting on a T.V. show that I'll mindlessly watch for much longer than I planned.

2. Public park

Sitting on a bench in a public park when it's nice out is one of the best ways to get some fresh air, and have a decent spot for writing. Of course, it can get overwhelming when the weather isn't perfect, or if there are far too many kids running around you. So, sometimes it won't be a good place to write in but it can be once you find your perfect spot and time there.

3. Porch/deck

Now, this spot I enjoy quite a bit because nobody ever really bothers me when I'm on my deck or porch. I can watch people walk by, put my dog on the chain, and sit back in a chair or on a blanket and enjoy the weather while knowing I won't be disturbed, and that my door is only a few feet away if I decide that I need something.

4. Library

The library is obviously a good place because it's quite, there is usually free WiFi, and its made for reading and working on homework. I typically don't go to the library to write because it feels too quiet for me, but I know a lot of people who really enjoy the atmosphere.

5. Panera

I just really love their food. If I'm hungry, I'll take my laptop to Panera and order something to eat while I work on homework or an article. It has a nice vibe, and it isn't ever really too loud. Plus, free WiFi!

6. College

Hanging out on campus, or writing in the library of ISU is one of my favorite things to do. I've always enjoyed the college atmosphere, I enjoy seeing my friends around and saying hi, and it's big enough that I can find my own place to be alone. The Quad is an amazing place to Hammock as well. You get free WiFi over there!

7. Uptown

Uptown Normal is a beautiful place, and there are a lot of spots where you can find free WiFi. It's also very close to a lot of food spots, coffee shops, and it's a great place to people watch or just hang out while you're taking a small break.

I've always been really picky when it comes to where I write or work on homework. Maybe this will help you out when you're struggling as well.