7 Period Dramas Every Historical Fiction Lover Needs To Watch ASAP

Binge these, and you'll learn about history and satisfy your drama cravings.

329

So, you're a fan of period dramas. If you are, here are seven that you really should watch.

"The Durrells"

goo.gl

"The Durrells" is based off of Gerald Durrell's "Corfu Trilogy." Set on the idyllic island of Corfu, the family the show follows is far from idyllic.

Starring Keeley Hawes, this poignant drama will have you laughing and crying. It's set against the vibrant background of Greece and includes some spectacular scenery and great acting.

The show's fourth season is due to be released next year, and sadly, it will be the final season. But that gives historical fiction lovers plenty of time to catch up! The first season is currently available to stream on Netflix.

"Anne with an E"

goo.gl

Based on LM Montgomery's beloved novels, "Anne with an E" retells the story of "Anne of Green Gables" with a fresh perspective. The show provides a wide range of emotions, and Amybeth McNulty does an incredible job as the red-headed heroine. This can be found on Netflix. It's one of my favorite shows to date.

"Poldark"

Based off of Winston Graham's novels, "Poldark" is set in Cornwall and follows the footsteps of Ross Poldark. The first four series have been full of happiness, sadness and emotional moments. With a stellar cast, which includes Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson, vital lessons are learned. And the beautiful scenery of Cornwall adds a sense of beauty, even during the bleakest moments of the show.

"Poldark" is set for its last series in 2019. So, if you are an avid lover of "The Durrells" and "Poldark," like myself, it will be a very sad year for you! "Poldark" is also available to stream on Netflix.

"Testament Of Youth"

goo.gl

This is the only film appearing on this list, and that makes it a good one. Starring Kit Harrington and Alicia Vikander, "Testament Of Youth" is based on the WW1 memoir written by Vera Brittain. This 2014 film adaptation is definitely one that should be watched by all.

Feel like having a good cry? This is for you. Feel like watching Kit Harrington, but you've caught up on "Game of Thrones" already? This one's for you. Feel like watching a good romance? This one's for you. You get the idea.

This film tells a beautiful tale that will not leave you disappointed.

"Lark Rise to Candleford"

goo.gl

This BBC drama was adapted from a memoir by Flora Thompson. Set in Oxfordshire, this show is indeed a happy one, full of emotion and color. With many different characters, each bringing their own vibrant personality to the screen.

"Lark Rise to Candleford" is also a show for all ages. If you fancy a binge watch, it is only available to purchase online.

"Peaky Blinders"

Who doesn't love a good dose of Thomas Shelby played by the wonderful Cillian Murphy? If you said "not me," then you really need to watch this to change your mind!

Set in Birmingham during the aftermath of the first World War, this show follows the gang Peaky Blinders. This immersive show will leave you on the edge of your seat. It has been viewed by millions, and it is still a favorite for many.

Series five will hopefully air in 2019, switching from BBC Two to BBC One. The earlier series are also available on Netflix

"Cranford"

goo.gl

Starring Judi Dench, this show explores the motions of change happening in a small, rural town and the ways its residents endure these changes.

This drama is based on a trilogy by Elizabeth Gaskell. With a variety of characters, this show is also one for everyone!