One Direction Songs That Will 'Light Up Your World' On Any Bad Day

Long live One Direction, forever in our hearts.

200

I have been a Directioner since I first heard "What Makes You Beautiful" back in 2012 and I'd like to thank them for being a big part of my transition from a girl into a woman. Here are a few songs I would cry myself to sleep with but got me through the bad days.

"Little Things"

Little Things not only taught me about self-love but also about how there was someone out there who would love all my perfect imperfections. That, someone, was just One Direction and I for a while, until that someone became a person. I am still in search for whoever's hand will fit into mine like it has been made just for me. Thirteen-year-old me would cry along with this song as I struggled with body confidence and this song was so relatable as if it was written just for me.

"Don't Forget Where You Belong"

One of my favorites from Midnight Memories, this song taught me to never forget where home was. As my personal experience coming from a different country and growing up with two different cultures and languages; I will never forget how the sun rises back home.

"Diana"

At some point, we all felt our name was Diana. This song was written directly to a fan, but it spoke to the whole fandom. This song saved my fourteen-year-old self and nineteen-year-old me still cries. This song would hug me and I would cry myself to sleep at times, just like it was intended to.

"Night Changes"

This song is about growing up, talks about our transitions from young girls into women. it does drive me crazy how fast the night changes and everything I've dreamt of disappears when I wake up. Once again, the girl described in the song felt like it was written just for me.

"History"

Written for Zayn since he had left the band before the Made in the A.M album, but the whole fandom felt it. No, they definitely didn't teach us that in school but the whole fandom has history with every single song they ever performed. Louis sang that it wasn't the end just yet, so the fandom still has hope for the band to get back together and we will never let them go.

"A.M"

All my favorite conversations and moments were definitely made in the A.M. Whether they are from friendships or romantically, this song speaks the truth about most of our youth.

"Alive"

This song is the key to a life that makes us feel alive. Don't look back and live your life, as long as it makes you feel alive. Still wondering what the girl whispered to Niall when they were up in the balcony. We have to live before we get older, so every time I am in doubt I just question if it makes me feel alive.

"Story of My Life"

One of their most emotional songs and their greatest hits, this song will forever be the number one in my "crying playlist". Once again, written about what's like to grow up and everyone around you getting older. It taught us to write the best story we will want written on those walls one day.

These are just a couple of my favorites that made a personal impact on me and hugged me really tight when no one else was there for me. As I would drink a cup of tea and would stare at my bedroom walls covered with One Direction posters for the last six years were really the best moments of my adolescence. I am left with half a heart as One Direction took the other half, but their music will stay forever within me.