Must-Try Foods at the Minnesota State Fair
food

5 Foods You Need To Try At The Minnesota State Fair

The fair where anything can be deep-fried and put on a stick.

20

The Minnesota State Fair, also known as 10 of the best days of the year if you are a Minnesotan. The State Fair is one of the prides and joys of our state, and it is known around the country for being one of the best and biggest fairs of the year. The State Fair has everything, from concerts to rides to seeing 1000+ pound pigs and sculptures carved out of butter. But, the one thing the Minnesota State Fair is really known for is the food. At the fair, they have literally any food you can imagine, but deep-fried and on a stick. This is a list of the best, most well-know and weirdest state fair foods that everyone newcomer needs to try!

1. Cheese Curds

Instagram

This is, by far, one of the most well-known and favorite foods of the fair. We may not be the Dairy State, but we still love our cheese. I would have to say the best cheese curds are from the Mouse Trap Cheese Curd stand. What could be better than hot and greasy fried cheese?! These cheese curds are hands down the best you will ever eat, which is what makes them a Minnesotan fan favorite.

2. Deep Fried Candy Bar

Deep Fried Reese's Peanut Butter Cup

Instagram

This is definitely an interesting food that's sell at the state fair, and, in all honesty, doesn't sound super appealing. But, somehow these candy bars actually are really good! At the deep fried candy bar stand, they sell Oreos, Reese's, Snickers, Milky Ways and Three Musketeers. The candy bars are fried in a doughy batter, and on the inside is the somewhat melted candy bar. Though they may sounds gross and highly caloric, they are definitely worth a try.

3.  Fried Pickles

Instagram

Just another food you didn't know would be delectable when fried in delicious goodness! I never thought of deep frying pickles, but, honestly, this is one of the best foods at the fair. This stand has quickly become a very popular item for fairgoers. They offer sliced dill pickles deep fried in a crunchy crumb coating, or you can also grab deep-fried pickles stuffed with hot cream cheese dipped in a ranch sauce or cooked in a spicy Cajun-style coating.

4. Sweet Martha's Cookies

Instagram

Although chocolate chip cookies are a pretty standard food that you can make at home, Sweet Martha Cookies are a must-have at the fair. Arguably the most popular food at the fair, this stand always has lines stretching FAR. These cookies honestly taste like no other; I don't know what the difference is, but these aren't your average Betty Crocker's. To say you've really experienced the Minnesota State Fair, you have to try these cookies. You get them hot and fresh out of the oven, and they're served in a cone or a giant overflowing bucket.

5. Any Food On A Stick

Instagram

Something that our state fair is known for is putting a twist on any and all foods, by putting it on a stick. They sell a wide variety of foods, such as Bacon on a Stick, Hot Cheese on a Stick, Alligator on a Stick, Spaghetti and Meatballs on a Stick and, my personal favorite, Pizza on a Stick. You can't spend a day at the fair without getting some snack on a skewer.