11 Apps To Download For The Next Time You Travel

Smartphones are the future of safe, efficient traveling.

68
Unsplash

Unless you're the type that can get in a van and just drive, traveling often involves a lot of planning and preparation. For some, it's easiest to hire a travel agent that seemingly knows all of the best deals and places to visit, but in reality that can get expensive.

If you're traveling on a budget or looking to visit some of the less known attractions in a city, the internet is the best place to start. Once you have an idea of what you want to do and when you can go, I recommend starting a Google Doc or Pinterest board to keep your thoughts together.

In the end, the stresses of planning your travels should be minimal. Luckily, there are several aids to help the planning process both before and during your trip occur with ease. Keep things simple with these 11 smartphone apps.

1. Skyscanner

Skyscanner is the perfect app to have on your phone for when you have dates to travel, but aren't sure where to go. Their "everywhere" option allows you to choose your starting location and the dates you're available to travel before providing you with a list of places you can go from cheapest, to most expensive flights. The app also provides you with hotel and car rental options for when you arrive at your destination.

Price: Free

2. GoEuro

Photo Courtesy of GoEuro.com

If you're traveling exclusively within Europe, GoEuro allows you to find the best deals on flights, trains and bus fare. You'd be surprised that some direct flights between European countries are often cheaper than the 15-hour bus ride. The GoEuro app also gives you the option to have them search for accommodation through Airbnb that suits your time frame as they calculate your cheapest mode of transportation.

Price: Free

3. Kiwi

Kiwi is a newer addition to the world of cheap travel. Once you add the dates and your destination, Kiwi provides an interactive map complete with multiple combinations on how to arrive. A new concept that sets Kiwi apart is the idea of a travel plan that utilizes multiple airlines. Kiwi sets up your travel in a way that allows you to change planes, exit security, recheck luggage and complete the security process again, all the while ensuring cheap and fast travel.

Price: Free

4. Hostelworld

In the United States, hostels have a reputation attributive to horror movies and horror stories. In the rest of the world, hostels are a safe, cheap alternative to hotel and Airbnb expenses. If you're traveling in a group, you can often purchase a room with bunk beds together, or if you're concerned about sharing space with the opposite gender there are almost always options for gender exclusive dorms. Hostelworld is a useful app as it breaks down each hostel listed by safety, security, price and distance to popular attractions.

Price: Free

5. Couchsurfing

If you're feeling adventurous, Couchsurfing is a free way to find accommodation while traveling. The Couchsurfing app allows you to find free accommodation while seeing a new city with the help of a local. As an added bonus to a free place to sleep, the app allows you to meet new people and connect with other members and free events in different cities. It sounds a bit risky, but with the proper precautions, Couchsurfing really could be the future of traveling the world on a budget.

Price: Free

6. WhatsApp

Photo Courtesy of Whatsapp.com

Between international plans and time change, communication abroad isn't always the easiest. WhatsApp is here to change that. WhatsApp users are able to connect with other members through the app all without having to change their number or get a new one. Using internet connection, WhatsApp allows you to text back and forth with what would be considered "long-distance numbers" at no cost to you.

Price: Free

7. Jibbigo

It's hard to find a translating app that doesn't butcher common phrases or cost the equivalent of a one-way ticket. Jibbigo functions offline and acts as more than a dictionary for over 20 languages. The app includes features that allow you to translate full phrases for conversations abroad and is accessible for Android and Apple devices.

Price: $2.99 USD

8. Google Maps

Photo Courtesy of financialtribune.com

Now that Google Maps allows you to download maps offline in advance, this is the perfect app for traveling abroad when you know you're going to have inconsistent data or WiFi connection. Take advantage of this feature and download the full map of the city you're in before you leave your hostel to assure you make it to every location on your list.

Price: Free

9. XE Currency

Photo Courtesy of Amazon.com

Even with everything planned accordingly, currency exchange rates always seem to get in the way of a stress-free vacation. Even as an English speaker traveling from The United States to Australia, it's easy to get confused with how much of your home currency you're really spending. XE Currency offers a free option to check your exchange rates on the go. With the app, you can save yourself from confusion or overpaying.

Price: Free

10. GeoSure

The biggest priority while traveling to any new country should always be safety. GeoSure takes your location into account and provides you with up-to-date information on political threats and health and environmental risks. Download GeoSure to put your mind at ease the next time you travel.

Price: Free

11. Netflix

Photo Courtesy of Denofgeek.com

Now that you can download certain movies and television shows to straight to your smartphone device, the Netflix app is a must for any long-term traveling. Whether you're on a plane or a train ride between European countries, save the data on your international plan and simply download the movies you want to watch when you're connected to wifi. It also helps that the content on Netflix differs between countries, so you can continuously update your downloaded section with fresh finds.

Pro tip: Wifi in Belgium has every Star Wars movie.

Price: Free