10 Heartbreak Songs That Will Make You Grab A Box Of Tissues

"That's me in a song!"

933

Sad songs cure a broken heart. You don't hear this all that often, but you're probably smiling right now because you know you do it to yourself. These 10 songs will surely make you want to grab a box of tissues, and either reminisce or simply just think.

1. “Don't Forget” by Demi Lovato

This song is very emotional and sings about the process of trying to move on from a relationship when the other person has already moved on and possibly forgotten about you. Demi sings, "Now I'm left to forget about us," showing that she feels as if she's the one who is left alone and has to struggle to try and forget and move on.

The song starts with rhetorical questions: "Did you forget that I was even alive?/Did you forget everything we ever had?/Did you forget?/Did you forget about me?" which shows all of the thoughts occurring inside of her head, and the fact that she feels alone. Listen to this song when you are trying to move on, and remember that "the past is just a lesson that we've learned." The past is in the past and it's okay if they have forgotten because you will eventually, as well.

2. “First Heartbreak” by Tori Kelly

This song is for those who are scared of a possible heartbreak occurring. It's about being nervous while you're in a relationship and realizing how much you love a person. While loving a person can be a great feeling, it can also be a scary feeling because love is powerful and if you lose it someday, your heart will break and ache.

Tori sings "I guess that means I really love you/Cause I'm afraid to make mistakes/If you ever left me that would be my first heartbreak," which shows that being in love sometimes means you're afraid to do something wrong, which could possibly result in a breakup. Listen to this song when you are in a relationship, and you're scared of it ending, because the truth is, that person loves you for you, no matter what.

3. “All In My Head” by Tori Kelly

This song is for those who have a crush on someone and they're receiving mixed signals from the person. One day they may seem like they have mutual feelings and another day you may feel like it's all in your head. Tori sings about there being another girl, and about being unsure whether he truly loves her or not.

She sings "You seemed so interested/Could you tell me, was it real or was it all in my head/Was it real or was it all in my head," which shows that she felt that her crush felt the same way she did, but now she's unsure. Listen to this song if you're receiving mixed signals from someone, or if you constantly make up scenarios in your head.

4. “In Case” by Demi Lovato

This song is about being left by somebody and wanting them back. It's about still knowing you'll always be there for that person, just in case they ever want to come back or need help with something. Demi sings "In case you change your mind, I'll be waiting here/In case you just want to come home," which shows that she is willing to wait and hopes that the person who left her will want her back so bad, that they'll come back. Listen to this song when you feel like you made a mistake leaving someone or when you have been left. Also, remember that sometimes people don't realize what they have until it's gone.

5. “Breakeven” by The Script

This song is definitely a classic and is about suffering a terrible breakup with somebody and while the other person has moved on and is happy, you still haven't moved on and are falling to pieces. The Script sings "What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you/And what am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're okay/I'm falling to pieces," which shows that the singer now feels incomplete that he is no longer with the girl because he felt as if she was the better part of him.

Also, it hurts him to see that she is okay and doing fine, while he doesn't know what to do with himself, and feels as if he can't move on and has no purpose. Listen to this song when you are trying to move on and you can't, or when you see that your ex is happy and moving on, while you are still feeling the effects of the relationship.

6. “The Scientist” by Coldplay

This song is about the act of analyzing a breakup and figuring out why things didn't work out, similar to the way a scientist analyzes things. Coldplay sings "Nobody said it was easy/It's such a shame for us to part/Nobody said it was easy/No one ever said it would be this hard/Oh, take me back to the start," which shows that he realizes that things aren't always easy, and he should've realized that sooner.

"Oh, take me back to the start" shows that he just wants to go to the beginning and restart the relationship over. He definitely feels some form of regret and wants to begin again with a new clean slate. Listen to this song when you recently had a breakup or if you're trying to analyze why one of your relationships didn't work out.

7. “The One That Got Away”  by Katy Perry

This song is about reminiscing about an old lover or a past relationship that didn't work out. Katy sings "In another life, I would be your girl/We keep all our promises, be us against the world/In another life, I would make you stay/So I don't have to say you were the one that got away," which shows that if it was a different time, then she wishes she could go back and be with him again and that things would work out. Overall, she regrets not telling him how she felt and not making the most out of their time. Listen to this song if you're full of regret or if you feel that you have a person that went away.

8.  “Grand Piano” by Nicki Minaj

This song is about being played and about having your heart messed with. Nicki sings "And now the people are talking/The people are saying that you have been playing my heart/Like a grand piano," which shows that she sees that people are talking about the fact that she has been played, kind of like how you play a grand piano. The act of being played means you end up heartbroken and the person has messed around with your feelings.

The song is a perfect example of a sad song and includes a violin solo, which adds to the emotion. Listen to this song if you have been played by somebody before, or if you feel that the person didn't appreciate you as much as you should've been appreciated.

9.  “Just A Little Bit of Your Heart” by Ariana Grande

This song is about wanting someone so badly, but you know you probably can't. Ariana sings about feeling like a fool for wanting to be in a person's heart that probably doesn't even think about her. Ariana sings "I know I'm not you're only/But at least I'm one/I heard a little love is better than none" which shows that she knows she's not the main person in his life, but she still wants some love because having some is better than having none.

The song reflects how deep of a craving Ariana has for true love, even though it may not be the perfect situation. Listen to this song if you are the one who is craving just a little bit of someone's heart.

10. “Coaster" by Khalid

This song is about going through a rollercoaster of emotions after two people end things. Khalid sings "Moving on seems harder to do/When the one that you love moves faster than you" which shows that he is having a hard time moving on because his ex has already moved on and seems to be doing fine.

Also, he sings "So I'll be coasting, roller coasting/Through my emotion/I will be coasting, roller coasting/I'm hoping that you'll come back to me," which shows that he goes through ups and downs, but overall he knows that he wants the person he has lost back. Listen to this song if you feel that you haven't moved on from a person yet or if your emotions are kind of everywhere — like a rollercoaster.