To My Best Friend's Future Husband

To My Best Friend's Future Husband

Marriage advice you won't find in a card.

7
To My Best Friend's Future Husband
Carly Marmen

I remember the day that I first met you. Five minutes of interaction and less than 10 words and I could tell that you were good for her. The more I got to know you, the better I understood the depth of your relationship. Fast forward two years and here we are planning a wedding. Before you marry my best friend, I need you to know a few things.

I will always side with her. It is nothing personal, I just know where my loyalties belong. Although I will consider you family, as I do her, her side of the story is always right. I will always be protective. Holding her heart is no small feat and should not be taken lightly. When you speak your vows, let the words sink in. For better or worse, for rich or for poor and in sickness and in health are loaded words and I expect you to act upon them until the day you die. Be there for her when she worries. Surprise her with flowers and date nights just because. Memorize the little things that make her smile. She deserves the most love you can give her.

Know that she cares for you more than life itself. I've seen her through previous relationships, but this one is different than all those before. The chemistry you two have is evident. Never take for granted the small moments you share. Whether it be a jam session in the car or a meaningful conversation over fries and milkshakes, take in every second. Support her dreams and aspirations. Cheer her on in every new endeavor. Be her biggest fan.

Most importantly, know that I am not going anywhere. Our third-wheel Sunday's will become more permanent and weekend visits to your home are expected. I will no doubt be involved in your life as husband and wife. Think of me as the unofficial sister-in-law. Get used to it and like it.

Thank you for loving my best friend. Thank you for being everything she deserves and more. Thank you for treating her with respect and dignity. The moment you proposed I knew that this was the beginning of her happily ever after. Treat her like a queen.