Sometimes The Worst Type Of Break Up Can Be By Your Best Friend

Regardless of our past, I hope this letter finds you well.

49

You said you always had a plan. You said you saw me in your future. I believed in you, I trusted you and I put my entire heart and soul into something I thought was a guarantee. But, you broke my heart into a million little pieces and my life will never be the same.

I'll never forget that night. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I remember the words slipping off your tongue so easily. I remember my heart dropping into my stomach and I remember fighting back the tears, trying not to show you how bad you hurt me. I remember how pale the ceiling was as I stared up at it to stop the tears from falling. I didn't want you to have power over me. I remember you hugging me as if that was going to make everything okay like one hug would solve all of our problems. I waited until I got to my car to start crying. I remember my coworker trying to comfort me but she couldn't fix this. They were right when they said nothing breaks like a heart.

Almost a year later, you're still in my life, except I can't look you in the eye anymore. I don't trust you like I used to. I don't trust you to catch me if I fall like I used to. You changed my life, and honestly, I'm not sure you even know the storm that you brought into my life. I try to act like everything is okay and everything is good, but every time I see you I get reminded of that night. The night you no longer believed in my dreams. The night where the rain started pouring and I couldn't find shelter because you were always my safe place to land. Ever since that night, my life has been a storm, a whirlwind of emotions.

But no matter how bad you hurt me, I could never hate you. You are a part of my story that needed to be there. You could have created a monster, a bitter person, but instead, you made me become a better person because I don't want anyone to feel like the way you made me feel. So thank you for the lesson, but nothing will ever be the same.