To My Best Friend Who Moved Away

To My Best Friend Who Moved Away

I miss you more every day!

246
To My Best Friend Who Moved Away
Divine Brooks

Dear best friend,

There is so much to say, but first off let me just say that I miss you so much! I miss the days of walking over to your apartment and just coming in because I basically lived there. We had plenty of nights where we had our vent and cry sessions. I miss telling my mom “I’ll be back soon,” when in reality I would not come back until 5 hours later because time flies when you’re having fun right?

I remember when we first met and how. I will never forget the day that I met you. We had drama class together your freshman year of high school, which was my sophomore year. We didn’t speak a lot during class, but whenever we saw each other in the hallways we would say “Hey a*s grabber”, our nicknames for each other because we always grabbed each other’s butt.

Over the next year or two we would smile and say hey as we passed. Then the end of your sophomore year, you moved into the neighborhood that I lived in. We were so excited! That summer we hung out and we were inseparable. We went on late walks with my dog, went to the Norfolk Tides baseball games, and had various adventures in which I wish never had to end.

During your junior year, you moved up to the Richmond area. I pretended that I was going to be fine, but I could not pretend. I shed so many tears when I found out. I thought I was going to lose my best friend who understood me and who I told everything to!

You and your mom tried to reassure me that everything would be fine because you would be down here a lot. It did not help me because I couldn’t just walk into my best friend’s house and announce that I was home.

A few weeks after the move, I decided to come and surprise you at your new place, so I texted your mom for the address. I showed up and, just my luck, you were at Walmart. I called you and told you to go home as soon as possible, but you didn’t believe me because I always told you I was there in spirit.

When you got home, you were pretty surprised to see me. I was your first visitor at your new house and we decorated your room, went to Target, and did what we used to do, but now it was in a new setting.

We used to text and Facetime so much, but now we have both become so busy that we may send two texts a day. It's fine because we both understand. In January, you completed your senior year of high school and I could not be any more pleased by what you have accomplished.

You started working more and I got so busy with trying to keep up with my first year of college. We would send random “I love you” texts and Snapchats. We always make sure to inform the other of important events in the others’ life. When we talk it’s as if nothing has changed.

Now that I’m in college and you are living in a new place, we both have separate but new lives. We have both made new friends, got boyfriends, and matured. We haven’t replaced each other, it’s just that now that we aren’t 45 seconds away we had to do what we had to do, like meet new people, and get new friends.

I know that even though we are continually maturing and growing up we will continue to stay friends. We haven’t always had the greatest of times, but the moments of stress, conflict, and sadness only made us stronger as friends and the people that we are.

We have both done so many new things in our lives, like getting tattoos and getting a license, and wanting to get married, but no matter what we will still be by each other’s side. I love you, no matter the distance between us now and the new experiences that take place.

Even if we only talk once a month, you can still call or Facetime me if you’re having a predicament or just want to tell me big and important news and I will still be here to listen and offer my advice to you.

I can’t wait until I can see you again, even if you leave my side I will still count until I get to see your gorgeous face again. I will always get so excited to see you, no matter when the last time I saw you was or how long I have to see you. You are one of the best people that I decided to become friends with. I am forever grateful for our friendship and the experiences that we have had.

Forever love,

Your best friend