To My Best Friend Studying Abroad This Semester

This semester you'll be hopefully happy, hopefully healthy and hopefully on an adventure.

85
Casey Leming

Hey pal,

I know you are about to embark on the most amazing trip of your life. Traveling to another country for academics is an amazing feat that not everyone has the opportunity to do. You’re about to experience so many new things; between culture, language, meeting new people and probably the best part, food, you’re going to have a great time; no doubt about it.

While this is all true, I’m going to miss you. You’re a huge part of my life and not having you so close is going to be really hard. Even at different colleges, we still make it a point to talk every day, whether it be through a text, Snapchat, Facebook, Facetime, or literally any other platform you can think of. We’ve always been there for each other. Although I know this trip is going to open so many new doors for you and I’m incredibly excited that you have this opportunity, a part of me is a little sad that you’re leaving.

The time difference is what worries me the most. You’ll probably be waking up soon after I hit the hay, and our schedules will likely never line up. I know you have other people to talk to, like your family or significant other, but I can’t help but feel like we’ll just keep missing each other in communication.

This won’t stop me from trying, though. You are my best friend, and I will do absolutely anything I can to remain in contact with you. Your time abroad is going to be beyond amazing, and I can’t wait to see all the new things you experience. You know I’ll want to see photos as soon as you land, as soon as you settle down and as soon as you get comfortable. If possible, I’m more than willing to write you letters or postcards or send a carrier pigeon, if that’s what I must do.

I am beyond happy and excited for you. I will also miss you more than you can imagine. I know I’ll see you after some time, it’s not like it’s forever, but I will definitely notice your absence. Just know that if you ever need to talk to someone, or if you feel homesick at any time, I will absolutely be available to FaceTime, Skype, Snapchat, or anything else on a Wi-Fi connection at any time.

North America will be sad to see you go, but your country is gaining one ambitious and adventurous young woman. Remember that I’ll always be here for you, even when our time-zones don’t line up and our schedules are the complete opposite. I love you, and I know you’ll make the most of everything. I can’t wait to hear all about it when you come home. Have the best time ever this semester, and I’ll be waiting to give you the biggest hug ever when you return.

Love,

Your best friend