An Open Letter To My Best Friend

Between Weekly Mall Trips And A Few Fights Over The Same Boy, You've Never Left My Side — Thank You

You're the real MVP.

432
Makayla Castle

We all have a best friend, right? Someone that we can trust with our whole heart, laugh with for hours, and know that at the end of the day, they will always be there.

I met my best friend in sixth grade. Lucky for me, she has decided to stick with me and my shenanigans for roughly nine years now.

Nine years.

Seriously, this girl deserves an award! But all joking aside, I am so beyond thankful for my amazing best friend, Emily.

Emily has always been there for me, supporting me through every high and low. We can literally do anything, or even nothing at all, and have a blast together. We simply enjoy each other's company and love to laugh with each other.

Saturdays during junior high and high school spent at the mall with her mom. Countless late-night snack binges after I made her watch "Night at the Museum" for the 10,000th time. Long days of getting burnt at the pool. Copying my math homework (sorry, Mrs. Lagle). All the boy-related rants that she's listened to. She has never given up on me.

But, of course, it wasn't always rainbows and sunshine with our friendship.

Stupidly, Emily and I allowed boys to get in between the two of us and separate us throughout our last two years of high school. After some clarity, we did not let that get in the way of the beautiful relationship and bond that we formed so many years ago.

Boys come and go, but your girlfriends will last forever and always be there when you need them the most.

The lesson here is never to take your best friend(s) for granted. But, also remember, that your true best friends, who love you so dearly, will never leave your side. Your best friend will be your biggest cheerleader, while also being that mom that stops you when you're making a dumb decision.

So, this is my thank you to my dear friend — basically my sister — Emily.

Thank you for the countless Starbucks trips, taco-eating adventures, and spa days at the nail salon. I love you! I am so grateful to have you in my life and to be able to call YOU my best friend.

Everyone deserves an Emily in their life, but you can't have this one because she's taken!