When Your Best Friend Moves Away For College
Health Wellness

To The Best Friend Who Moved Away, As We Start The Next Chapters In Our Lives

I wish you all the best in your endeavors, as we both begin new lives.

165
Rebecca Yanez

We first met during our freshman year of high school, the most impactful year of our teenage lives — not just because we were starting high school, but because we would begin to learn more about ourselves and how to navigate in the big, tough world.

We didn't have any classes together, except for choir. And quite frankly, if it weren't for our mutual friends at the time, we might not have ever spoken to each other. However, despite our polarizing differences, we became close quite quickly through common interests, such as our love for Twenty One Pilots, music and memes.

You became my rock, a person I could always go to. Unfortunately, you would be leaving midway through the next school year and going to live in a new state. And I won't lie, it took a very long time to get over the grief and sadness that came over me when I found out.

It was as if half of myself had been ripped away and I had to learn how to function with half a soul. And our friend group slowly tore itself apart after you left. Frankly, the worst part wasn't the pain that I felt, but rather seeing the pain you felt and not being able to help the way that I, as a best friend, was supposed to.

Through it all, thick and thin, I want you to know that you will always be my friend. You have taught me so much — from being able to agree with those I don't agree with to being able to laugh at an embarrassing situation.

You are the strongest person I know, and you inspire myself and many others. Not only do you lead people in kindness and respect, but you also lead them in faith. My hope is that, as we continue to grow on our separate paths, they will cross again once more. I hope that you will find peace within yourself despite any rough patches you may run into.

Sincerely,
Your best friend