A Letter To My Best Friend

A Letter To My Best Friend

I don't know what I'd do without you!

1711
A Letter To My Best Friend
Alaina Pierson

To my best friend, Devon,

I can't believe we became best friends this year. It's been a whirlwind with you, and I couldn't be more thankful to go through life with you by my side. I can't put a finger on when we became close, but all I know is my college experience wouldn't be the same without you in it. It's crazy how much one person can impact your life.

From the first moment we met, I knew you were special. We were just fellow pledge class members in Alpha Omicron Pi, nothing more. Something in me knew I had to become friends with you. I liked how genuine, honest, and authentic you were. Little did I know we would become friends that next fall.

I never had a best friend growing up, so I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to have one. Luckily, life works in mysterious ways, and we found each other. You're more than my best friend, you're the sister I never had. You're my person.

It's strange that we've only known each other for a year - it feels like I've known you my whole life. I can trust you with anything. Whenever I have good news, you're one of the first people that I tell. You keep secrets and never tell a single soul. We know more about each other than we know ourselves.

I don't know what I'd do without the Amy Poehler to my Tina Fey. I can always count on you to make me laugh or be a shoulder to cry on. I love that we can be weirdos together. Nobody understands our quirky inside jokes, but that's what makes them awesome. We are there to build each other up, and pick each other up when needed.

We've made up our own rituals. This usually includes going to each other's houses before having a night out on the town, bringing Cheerios anywhere we go, and catching up on our weeks. Also, bonding over everything and anything. We message each other every day complaining about our daily life, updating each other on how we're doing, and sharing funny stories or videos.

You're the best dance partner, and wing woman. You give the best advice and the greatest hugs. You know how to make people feel welcomed and included. You say it like it is and don't hold back. You're so special, and you don't even know it.

I know you're going to do amazing things in life. Being an OT is a wonderful occupation, and I wish you luck in your future endeavors. I'm going to be there for you every step of the way. You've got a good head on your shoulders and a big heart. Use them to your advantage, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something.

Although we are no longer sisters of AOII, this doesn't change anything about our friendship. I'm so happy that you decided to do something for yourself. It takes guts to do something life-changing in one day. It takes courage to stand up for your well being and not worry about what others think. I hope that you find what makes you happy. I wish I could've done everything in my power to help you enjoy being in AOII, but I know that this is going to make you a stronger person.

You're a wonderful soul, and don't let anyone influence you in believing you're not. You're wise beyond your years. You're beautiful just the way you are. You're an inspiration to me for putting yourself first. Continue to be the loving, caring person that you are. Everything you've dreamed of will come true and more.

No matter where life takes us, you can fall back on me whenever you need to. I can't wait to be best friends for the rest of our lives. I can't wait to see you get married, have kids, or do whatever it is in this world you want to do. I promise to always be a text or a phone call away, no matter how busy I get.

I hope that everyone finds a best friend like Devon. Someone kind, smart, funny, ambitious, and full of life. Someone who always surprises you and puts your happiness above her own. Someone you can depend on; someone who will be there to knock some sense into you when you're being irrational. Someone who always looks on the bright side and makes the lives around her better. A role model to look up to.

I cannot thank you enough for putting up with me and my shenanigans. I couldn't be more thankful that fate chose us to become best friends. I don't know where I'd be right now if it weren't for you.

I love you so much, and I wouldn't want to be best friends with anyone else. I couldn't be luckier to have you in my life and to know you. Anyone would be fortunate to have met you, even if just for a moment. May the world be filled with sunshines just like you.

Thank you for being my best friend.

Love always, your best friend, Alaina