To My Boyfriend's Sister, You're The Sibling I Never Had

Growing up an only child was pretty boring, you help fill that void.

330
Aliyah Mallak

I grew up as an only child, and let me tell you, it was boring as hell. I got really good at entertaining myself, but it still wasn’t the same as having someone there to do stuff with.

I lived for the days when I would see my younger cousin.

He was the closest thing I had to a sibling, but he was still a boy and we lived about a half an hour away from each other. So, we really only got to see one another when we went family functions.

That is, he was the closest thing I had to a sibling until about six months ago.

Six months ago, my boyfriend and I started dating. We knew each other for years prior, but only relatively recently made a go at it. Everything between us is fine and dandy.

But, I was slightly nervous about meeting his family, including his sister.

I had never really dated anyone with a brother or sister that they were willing to bring me around. Most of them were either much older or they just weren’t close enough to care.

Not that my boyfriend and his sister are close, but they are both very family oriented.

They were all really easy to get along with.

At first, it was just small talk. We would talk when I was at their house, school, works, things like that. Maybe all of us would go out to eat together. We both picked on her brother, so bonding was pretty easy.

And then slowly it became more.

His mom, sister and I binge-watched an entire season of "Riverdale" together. Then, she was venting to me about high school drama. And then boys.

And then we were binge-watching another TV show. And then she was telling me about this guy she liked. I'd hang out with her while her brother went to work.

The other week we went prom dress shopping together.

I even tried one on with her, just because. I’m going to their house on the day of her prom to help her get ready so she doesn’t have to do it alone.

She walked into the house last week and asked where her sister was.

At first, I was super confused and then realized she was talking about me. It made my heart feel all warm and fuzzy.

I don’t really know what it’s like to have a real sister. I’ve watched other friends with sisters enough to know that it can be anything but pleasant.

But I guess that’s the perk of not actually being related.

We get along extremely well and I know when he decides he wants to go play basketball or soccer, I have someone to hang out with.

It’s nice to have someone there who, while a little younger, gets what I’m talking about (sorry, babe, sometimes boys just don’t get it).

I wanted a boyfriend, I got a sister too.