To My Best Friend Who Also Doubles As My Sister

Thank you for being the Serena to my Blair.

1425
Jamie Burton

To my sister,

I can't imagine what you were thinking when mom and dad told you I was on the way. Were you excited? I sure hope so. Although I have been a terror at times, words can't begin to describe how thankful I am for you.

When we were little, we weren't the best of friends.

Yes, we are two different people, but I believe the age gap was what caused our differences. We have always been at two different places in our lives, but it has made me gain so much respect for you as an individual and I admire how you have crossed mountains and valleys to get where you are today.

Growing up, I learned so much from you.

Probably more then you could ever imagine, and I continue to learn with every day that passes. I watched you make mistakes and achieve goals you never thought you could achieve. From your mistakes, I made sure not to make the same ones. Even though I learned to not repeat some of these, I still mess up myself and am thankful you're there to help me through them. You've taught me how to view things from a different perspective because of the things you've experienced yourself.

One of the things I love the most is how we will forever have unconditional love for each other.

I can remember times when we didn't speak for a few days due to some fight we got in, but you were still there to help me if I needed you. You have an unbelievable amount of love for those in your life, and I am so grateful for that. I will never forget how many times dad used to say, "you guys are going to be best friends one day." We never believed him, but here we are. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

The day you moved out of the house was probably one of the worst days of my life.

I think it's because I realized we were actually growing up and it was time to move on with our lives. It felt as if just yesterday we were getting requests, yet again, to perform "Barbie Girl" in the backyard for the family. I no longer had you there 24/7 to hug or annoy whenever I wanted to. It was also very sad to no longer have a second closet to steal clothes from. The feeling I got coming home to your empty room for the first time was very uncomfortable. I would compare it to the feeling we felt when one of us went to a family part without the other. Lost and utterly confused.

Thank you for loving me when I didn't love myself.

You constantly help me rebuild my confidence and world when it feels as if there is no light at the end of the tunnel. When life gets challenging you're always the first person I go to for the answers I can't seem to find. I appreciate how brutally honest you are even though sometimes it's not what I want to hear.

Your selflessness and grace are just two of the things that make you so special.

You are beautiful and brilliant. You are not only my sister, but my best friend. The best part about this is I can tell you anything without judgment. I can call you at any time and you're there to just listen.

I can honestly say that my world wouldn't be the same without you in it, and I cherish every moment we spend together. Some of my favorite times are when we sit on the couch, pondering about life and where we think we will be in five years. You have come so far already and I can't wait to see where life takes you next. I will be there for you EVERY step of the way.

I love you more than I could ever explain. Thank you for being the Serena to my Blair. I'll see you soon.

-Your Baby Sis