The Best Disney Channel Original Movies, By Year, Starting In 1999

While we might think that today's kid TV is trash, we all still remember the good old days where TV shows were entertaining and DCOMs were something to stay up for.

476
Playbuzz

While we all know that in its prime, Disney Channel Original Movies (DCOM) were the staple of everyone’s childhood, we all different views on which one is the best among the best. So for this list, I’ll be listing the best DCOM, out of the top three because let’s be real: we can’t list them all, for each year up until 2006. I also included a fight between franchises, both the best among the top three in 90s and the top in 2000s, separately so the whole series doesn’t get weighed against one stand-alone film as they often been the highest ranked of the year. Additionally, for the sake of everyone, I won’t include television movies based on Disney television shows as they deserve a list of their own.

1999: The Thirteenth Year / Smart House / Don’t Look Under the Bed

The Thirteenth Year Plot: This movie centers around tween Cody Griffin, a swimmer turning thirteen, realizing something more than shocking than the fact that he’s adopted: He’s also turning into a mermaid!

Smart House Plot: When the wiz-kid Ben Cooper (Ryan Merriman) wins a smart house, his days as his family’s caretaker since his mother passed is over. That is until his house takes over his family’s life so much--that the computer practically has a (mother) mind of its own.

Don’t Look Under the Bed Plot: A movie to give you some chills, this movie focuses around Frances McCausland (Erin Chambers) trying to clear her name after being framed by- you guessed it: The Boogeyman.

Best of the Year: Smart House

2000: The Color of Friendship / Quints / The Ultimate Christmas Present

The Color of Friendship Plot: When white South African exchange student Maahree Bok (Lindsey Haun) comes to stay at the home of black Congressman Ron Dellums, it safe to say that they clash. However, as they continue to live together, Mahree and the Dellumses might see each other for more than just skin color.

Quints Plot: Jamie Grover’s (Kimberly J. Brown) life was perfect, except for the overbearing attention from her parents. But when she loses her only child status, she’s left not only a shadow behind five newborns (quintuplets) but deciding whether she wants to follow her family’s dreams after all.

Ultimate Christmas Present Plot: When Samantha (Brenda Song) and Allison (Halle Hirsh) find weather machine, they use it to make it snow in LA! But when Santa goes looking for his machine and the girls behind the odd weather-- they might be in for a surprise.

Best of the Year: The Ultimate Christmas Present

2001: Motocrossed / The Luck of the Irish / Poof Point

Cadet Kelly Plot: When her mom gets remarried, Kelly’s (Hilary Duff) world gets turned upside down and to top it all off, she’s forced to relocate and attend a military academy. Faced with new adversaries, Kelly must compete to not only be the best but get the guy.

Get a Clue Plot: When Lexi Gold’s (Lindsay Lohan) photograph of her teacher causes him to go missing, it’s up to her and her friends to go investigate and solve the mystery behind his disappearance.

Scream Team Plot: When two children Ian (Mark Rendall) and Clare (Kat Dennings) try to find information about their grandfather's death, their left finding out about a whole new world of ghosts. If that’s not enough, they must soon save their grandfather’s spirit from Zachariah--all the while learning about “Soul Patrol”.

Best of the Year: Cadet Kelly

2003: You Wish! / Eddie’s Million Dollar Cook-off / Full Court Miracle

You Wish! Plot: Based on the novel “If I had One Wish”, Alex Lansing is bugged by his brother one too many times and makes a wish of a lifetime--that he didn’t have a little brother! The movie definition of be careful what you wish for, Alex might soon to regret life without Stevie, or will he?

Eddie’s Million Dollar Cook-off Plot: When Baseball player Eddie Ogden (Taylor Ball) finds a passion in cooking, he must balance between the two- which proves difficult when the million dollar cook-off and baseball final are on the same day! Eddie must choose which dream to chase and fast before he strikes out from them both.

Full-Court Miracle Plot: A movie centering around a group of Jewish basketball players, Alex Schlotsky (Alex D. Linz) tries to find a good enough to coach so that his failing team stand a chance against their rivals, the Warriors. And when injured basketball star Lamont Carr agrees to help out, they may have that chance.

Best of the Year: Eddie’s Million Dollar Cook-off

2004: Pixel Perfect / Going to the Mat / Stuck in the Suburbs

Pixel Perfect Plot: In attempt to help his best friend’s band, Roscoe (Ricky Ullman) uses his father’s computer to create a hologram girl as their headliner. But this pixel girl doesn’t just become a hit but finds that she has some questions of her own.

Going to the Mat Plot: When Jace Newifeld wants to fit in at his new school, he decides to become a jock--however that proves to be difficult considering he’s blind. Now Jace must fight to be seen as a wrestler over his blindness, if he can do it at all.

Stuck in the Suburbs Plot: Small town Brittany (Danielle Panabaker) and city girl Natasha (Brenda Song) may seem like an unlikely pair but the two become fast friends once they takeover not only an agent’s phone but the rockstar’s whole image--and life.

Best of the Year: Stuck in the Suburbs

2005: Now You See It / Go Figure / Life is Ruff

Now You See It Plot: A movie about magical and mystery, teen producer Allyson (Alyson Michalka) attempts to find a star for her reality show about magicians. And when Danny Sinclair gets to the finals, Allyson will do anything to win--but there’s more to Danny’s “talent” than meets the eye.

Go Figure Plot: To get coached by the skater of her dreams, Katelin (Jordan Hinson) must maintain a hockey scholarship, keep up with skate practice, and juggle homework. To be the best, Katelin must learn to live (and strive) in both worlds.

Life is Ruff Plot: To complete his comic collection, Calvin Wheeler (Kyle Massey) takes adopts Tyco to enter the show-dog competition and win the cash prize. However, Emily Watson (Kay Panabaker) sees through Calvin’s constant scheming, he’s in for a rude awakening.

Best of the Year: Go Figure

2006: Cow Belles / Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior / Read it and Weep

Cow Belles Plot: After the spoiled sisters Taylor and Courtney (Aly & AJ) mess up yet again, their father puts them to work on his dairy farm to teach them the value of a dollar, and soon they realize that they’re in over their head.

Wendy Wu Homecoming Warrior Plot: When a monk comes to her claiming that Wendy (Brenda Song) is the reincarnation of a female warrior destined to save the world from evil spirits, campaigning for homecoming is the least of her problems.

Read It and Weep Plot: When Jamie Bartlett accidentally submits her journal in for an assignment--it not only wins a contest but becomes a bestselling book! Jamie now finds herself shoved into the spotlight, hoping that not only will her classmates not find out the book is based on them but that she can become the protagonist in her novel.

Best of the Year: Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior

Halloweentown Series:1998-2006/ The Zenon Series: 1999-2004/ The Twitches Series: 2005-2007

Halloweentown Series Plot: When Marnie finds out that her Grandmother’s a witch and lives in a secret place named Halloweentown, her world is shifted into a land of magic and soon, she too must use to wizardly ways to save the day. In addition to this classic gem, there’s a few sequels: Halloweentown 2: Kalabar’s Revenge, Halloweentown High, and Return to Halloweentown.

Zenon Series Plot: Zenon: Girl of 21st Century centers around a girl in 2049, moving from a space station to Earth. Now Zenon must not only learn to fit in, but stop a dangerous threat to her home back up in space. This movie produced a sequel, Zenon: The Zequel, and Zenon: Z3.

Twitches Series Plot: It’s a total sister-sister move when Alex and Camryn meet on their 21st birthday. But things go from weird to worse, when they realize they were not only separated at birth but come from a magical land and have enough magical abilities to stop the darkness that threatens their very existence. This movie is followed by it’s sequel, Twitches Too.

Best Series: Halloweentown

High School Musical Series: 2006-2008/ Cheetah Girls Series: 2003-2006/ Camp Rock Series: 2008-2010

High School Musical Plot: When Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) meets Gabriel (Vanessa Hudgens), their lives soon take a wild turn. Now, Troy must learn to choose between playing basketball for his team or singing with Gabriel--or doing the impossible and balancing both. This movie has two sequels: High School Musical 2 and High School Musical 3: Senior Year.

Cheetah Girls Plot: Four teen girls, Galleria (Raven-Symone), Chanel (Adrienne Bailon), Dorinda (Sabrina Bryan), and Aqua (Kiely Williams) are aspiring singers trying to make it as a group, but success is not easy to find. This movie produces two sequels: The Cheetah Girls 2 and The Cheetah Girls: One World.

Camp Rock Plot: The latest in the franchise, this movie stars Mitchie Torres (Demi Lovato) as she tries to not only overcome her shyness while maintaining her lies and try to catch the eye of famous singer Shane Gray (Joe Jonas) all while trying to win the Final Jam at Camp Rock. This movie was followed by Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam.

Best Series: High School Musical