'The Holiday' Is The Best Christmas Movie, Don't @ Me
Film

"Love Actually" doesn't stand a chance.

95

When it comes to Christmas movies, everyone has a favorite. Even if you don't like traditional Christmas movies, it's likely you have a soft spot for "It's A Wonderful Life" or are a sucker for the action in "Die Hard." But, beyond the classics like "Home Alone" and "A Christmas Story," Christmas movies have begun to take on a whole new life of their own. Everyone's mom is watching Hallmark 24/7 this time of year, Netflix releases their new Christmas movie, and there's at least one Christmas movie that smashes the box office. So, the question remains, with the growing commercialization of Christmas themed movies and people's growing love for them, what is the best Christmas movie.

For many, the best Christmas movie comes in the form of "Love Actually" a 2003 Christmas themed romantic comedy with intertwining love stories and a star-studded cast. I will admit, "Love Actually" is a classic and a lot of fun to watch. However, despite only being 15 years old, the movie is already starting to go out of date as we re-examine some of the scenes and relationships. This is especially true for Mark's confession to Juliet which comes only after Juliet has married Mark's best friend.

While the movie doesn't shy away from the taboo, with two characters having met and fallen in love after appearing in porn together, or having a love triangle involving a married couple, it still doesn't completely stand up in the modern day. While I can respect the movie and can enjoy watching it once a year, there is an obvious, not problematic alternative that can be watched any time of the year: "The Holiday."

Similarly to "Love Actually," "The Holiday" is a Christmas themed romantic comedy from the 2000s that boasts big names. The title is a pun on the British term for a vacation and focuses on two women looking to get away for Christmas. Deciding to switch everything they own for the holiday, the two women (one from Los Angeles and one from rural England), exchange houses.

The love stories in "The Holiday" develop naturally and show how relationships can have different dynamics and paces, but still be perfectly healthy. Not only did this movie solidify my love for Jude Law, but it also showed Jack Black's versatility in casting him as one of the leading romantic male leads.

Not only is it just an all-around enjoyable movie, but it was also written, directed, and produced by a woman--Nancy Meyers. While romantic comedies are normally geared towards women, they are still often written and directed by men (this includes "Love Actually"), and don't always represent women accurately.

"The Holiday" shows two career women take control of their lives and just so happen fall in love along the way. It is by far the best romantic Christmas movie, if not among the top Christmas movies of all time.