The Best Books I Read In 2016

The Best Books I Read In 2016

After consuming 74 books this year, a bookworm reveals her top ten favorites.

15
The Best Books I Read In 2016

I have read 74 books this year, and after much reflection, I managed to narrow it down to the top ten best books I read this year. Ironically, a majority of the books on this list were not published in 2016, but the perimeters I created this list with included which books 1) did I get the most enjoyment out of, 2) made me think differently about the world, or 3) contained a plot and characters that were engrossing and well-made.

Since I chose to read 74 books this year just because I like reading and also happen to be an English major, it’s safe to assume that I’ll be devouring as many books as I can come 2017. I’m actually going to be participating in this reading challenge next year, and if you have the new’s years resolution of reading more books, I encourage you to join it as well!

Also, this list is in no particular order. The ten books are listed alphabetically by title.

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Khaled Hosseini possesses the beautiful gift of having his writing create powerful emotions in his readers. He creates stories that stick with you long after you read the last page. This story is set in Kabul, Afghanistan, and is about two very different women who become united through their connection to a man that can only be described as evil. With thoughtful character development, engrossing plot, and the power to pull on the heartstrings, this is a book that everyone should read.

The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker

I was pleasantly surprised by how good this book was. This book is from a genre I don’t usually read from, magical realism, and the blurb that’s offered on the book’s jacket sounded a bit confusing. But the book itself isn’t confusing at all. Instead, it’s an example of excellent storytelling. The story is centered around two mystical beings that find themselves navigating the unknown world of New York City, circa 1899. The two beings are Chava, a woman crafted from clay and made alive by dark magic, and Ahmad, a powerful jinni (think = genie) that has been stripped of some of his abilities. Truly fascinating.

The House at the Edge of Night - Catherine Banner

This book was beautiful. The story unravels on a small, secluded island off the coast of Italy and spans several generations as scandals swarm, world wars are fought, loves are lost and found, dreams swell and recede, and the modern age begins to dawn on this enchanting piece of paradise. You will become emerged in a wide variety of thoughtfully crafted characters as the years pass on the ever-changing island. I was honored to read such a masterpiece.

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

I’m well aware that there is another Khaled Hosseini book on this list, but I could not bear to leave this one off since it is amazing. Once again set in Kabul, Afghanistan, this story is centered around Amir, a bit of an arrogant boy who was born into privilege, and Hassan, his loyal servant and one true friend. This book contains many twists and turns, and will probably rip your heart in half.

Lilac Girls - Martha Hall Kelly

If you love historical fiction like I do, you will love this book. World War II acts as the backdrop to this stunning book as the lives of three women are unraveled before the reader. In New York, Caroline Ferriday works at the French consulate and is trying hard to make a difference in the world, despite her comfortable social status and wealth. In Poland, Kasia Kuzmerick wants to prove herself as a worthy member of the resistance and faces dire consequences. Lastly, we see through the eyes of cold Herta Oberheuser, a German doctor who works at a concentration camp. This interesting story gives a intriguing outlook on the struggles of WWII.

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

This is a murder mystery with a twist, since the ‘mystery’ element is removed immediately when the murderer is revealed to the reader in the beginning of the book. Another unique take in this engrossing novel is having Susie, the teenaged murder victim, watching her family painfully try to move on from her death as she sits above in heaven. The changes that take place within this all-American family - and the father’s continued fight for justice - is riveting. This is a well-written story that will keep you turning the pages well after you’re suppose to go to bed.

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

I have always cherished the movie version with Keira Knightley, so I thought it was about time that I read the classic novel that inspired the movie. I was not disappointed. Unrequited love, a dysfunctional family dynamic, sneaky humor, and enchanting characters weaved together in perfect harmony to create a story well-known to many. I enjoyed it a lot more than I intended, and it makes me eager to read more of Austen’s work.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See

This gorgeous tale, set in 19th century China, is focused on the bond between two great friends, Lily and Snow Flower. It was so interesting to peer into this world where women communicate in a secret language and must undergo the agony of foot-binding, bow to the will of their families to arrange their marriage, and go through the pressure of appealing to their husbands’ judgemental families. Oh, and the ending will definitely break your heart.

Uncle Tom’s Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe

I had to read this groundbreaking novel from American Literature class this previous semester, and I was surprised by how engrossing the story was. Stowe weaves not one but two powerful and memorable story lines, and creates iconic characters in this book focusing on race in America, the institution of slavery, family, and religion, all while posing the question of humanity. This is definitely a book that everyone should be exposed to. You will learn a few things.

You - Caroline Kepnes

The author creates such a startlingly unique voice with the story’s main character, Joe Goldberg - a psychopath who harbors a deep obsession for a girl named Beck, and shows murderous tendencies whenever it proves difficult to keep a hold on her love. It’s a weird and uncomfortable story, but I grew to admire Joe’s many witticisms as the novel progressed, despite the disgust I felt for him as a character. His rant against Stephen King, which spans several pages, should be hailed as a modern literary feat.