13 Signs You're The Best Dang Aunt That Has Ever Graced The Earth
popular

Aunthood changes you.

4706
Samantha Frost

Being an aunt is the greatest role I have in my life right now. My sister gave me a niece that I love more than any one else on earth (sorry, sister, mom, dad and friends). Being an aunt is amazing because you get to watch a tiny human grow up, and chances are, they adore you, too — but when they get sassy and cranky, you can just send them back to their parents. It's like a trial run of parenthood, really.

But, becoming an aunt also means experiencing a lot of changes.

1. You have a plethora of baby pictures on your phone.

If you ask about my niece, I will spend six hours explaining her life story, accompanied with a slide show and videos of all major moments.

2. You can't make it out of Target without spending at least 10 minutes picking out the perfect toy or outfit for your favorite person.

The stuff is just SO CUTE! And it is all in miniature, making it even cuter.

3. You hum Disney songs constantly.

They are just so catchy! Plus it is really fun to relive your childhood and bribing your niece or nephew to cuddle on the couch and watch Disney movies with you.

4. You are a pro at changing diapers.

5. You are up to date on all the latest trends in toys.

I'm just gonna say it. Shopkins are dumb.

6. You know that there are trends in toys.

I thought all kids loved teddy bears and Barbies. Turns out that amongst kids, there are must-have toys.

7. Crying babies don't bother you anymore.

After becoming an aunt, you become desensitized to crying.

8. Now when kids throw tantrums in public, you feel for the adult accompanying them.

Pre-aunt life, if a kid was kicking and screaming in the grocery store, you would think, "Dude, get your kid under control." Now you think, "Damn, I feel you girl. Get that kid a banana and yourself a drink. You earned it."

9. You are a master of distraction.

Suddenly you have figured out how to eat treats without people seeing you, because if your niece or nephew saw, they would beg for you to share. They are too hard to say no to, so it's best they just don't see it in the first place.

10. You find yourself using your 'aunt tricks' on your friends.

My roommate was doing something stupid so I offered her a snack and showed her a YouTube video. I also do that to my 1-year-old niece.

11. You try crafts that mature aunts would do.

I took up knitting. I made one blanket, gifted it to my girl, and then quit.

12. You feel slightly competitive to be their favorite.

Or is that just me?

13. You try to be the cool aunt.

Although the children will probably remind you that you are indeed "not cool."