Americans Are Being Schemed By Bernie Sanders' Campaign Tactics

Spoiler: They are far from revolutionary.

14
wbur.org

Bernie Sanders has won the hearts of millions, simultaneously gaining their political support. He promises the American people a political revolution that will result in the eradication of oppression and ultimately progress towards “A Future To Believe In.” Sanders is commended for bringing in a new political prospect, but “believing in” his revolution can be a little difficult after we consider the tactics he has employed during his campaign and the results they have yielded.

Sanders’ campaigning tactics are far from original, let alone revolutionary. His techniques are actually rather propagandistic and are allowing his influence to spread like wildfire without a concrete understanding of his policies. Sanders’ appearance beckons us to think “sweet, little old man,” while his campaign tactics scream “average politician.”

Just like other politicians, Sanders plays the embellishment game. After his one-on-one debates with Hillary Clinton, NBC and PolitiFact published fact-checking articles exposing faults and inconsistencies in many of Sanders’ claims including his exaggeration that he helped to write the Affordable Care Act, his swaying stance on gun control and his misdirection regarding where and how federal funds are expended.

Not only does Sanders stretch the truth like other politicians, but he also uses sensationalist tactics to rally his supporters.

Senator Sanders’ recently released campaign video is the epitome of sensationalism. In the video, he declares, “If we do not allow them to divide us up by race, by sexual orientation, by gender … we will transform America, and that is what this campaign is about…” Sanders utilizes “them” several times throughout the video, but never clarifies to whom he is referring. This tactic provides his supporters with a common enemy as a means to unite them, an approach that has long been popular amongst politicians. This specific instance is a bit contradictory because the last time I checked, America was nicknamed “the melting pot” and the goal was to be unified; thus, I can only assume Sanders’ video to be propagandistic in its sensationalist nature, attempting to ignite unwarranted emotions in viewers without causation. Sanders also lists various races and lifestyles in an attempt to appeal to everyone on an individual level by simply reciting demographic classifications. This video empowers Sanders’ supporters by supplying a “them” to unite against without actually naming a “them.”

Sanders also employs sensationalism to slam Donald Trump for bigotry and racism in his suggesting of a likeness between Trump and the Nazi regime responsible for the Holocaust. Trump has not displayed any sort of a yearning for mass genocide, but merely (warranted or not) a fear for safety. Sanders’ comparison of Trump to the Nazi Party is just as sensationalist as Trump’s fear for the safety of American citizens.

Sanders also reprimands Trump’s supposed racism towards Latinos, which is just as presumptive as Trump’s fear of an inconvenient border location.

To clarify: Trump’s infamous comments regarding Mexico’s sending of criminals, undocumented, across the border into the United States were inaccurate in that Trump claimed, “the Mexican government forces many bad people into our country”; but Trump’s expressed fear does align with the notorious Zadvydas v. Davis Supreme Court case of 2001, which ruled that immigrants who have committed crimes, but are not accepted into other countries when the U.S. desires to deport them for their crimes, are not liable to be detained indefinitely and are thus able to continue roaming the streets of American communities.

Sanders’ declaration that Trump is racist is just as presumptive as Trump’s assumption that an easily accessible border will encourage crossing over by convicts.

Sanders is celebrated for the political revolution he will bring, but the tactics he has demonstrated thus far suggest he is just another politician.