The Benefits of My Summer Experience

The Benefits of My Summer Experience

10 weeks helped me in more ways than one.

3
The Benefits of My Summer Experience
National Pediatric Cancer Foundation

My summer was one of more work than pleasure. I spent the majority of my summer doing what a lot of other college students do, research. I was determined to obtain some sort of summer internship to add to my resume. So I applied to several, and I was continuously denied. One of my professors suggested that I apply for the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Summer Research Team Program because a fellow colleague sent a proposal for the program, and they needed student(s) for the team. He suggested I apply because I seemed like the right fit. I ultimately was the only student on the team. Initially, I did not know what to expect. I wanted this program to assist me in determining what I wanted to do in my future as a career. I had been uncertain about my career goals for a while before participating in this program. I was teetering between dental school and just graduate school. I also wanted to gain the knowledge that my university can’t afford to give me.

This upcoming school year, I plan on joining WIST which is a club at my school that stands for Women in Science and Technology. Aimed at women who are STEM majors and they work with young girls in the local community and tell them about the positive and fulfilling aspects of STEM programs. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to speak about my research experience and how much it helped me. My research was featured within the campus newsletter. My experience will be seen, and it will let my fellow students know that they can obtain the similar accomplishments that I have. It is very possible to be a successful MVSU student no matter what anyone thinks.

My university is not as well-endowed as some, and we aren’t not afforded some opportunities that other schools are. This experience gave me the opportunity to learn about new procedures, topics, machines, and tools that I would have not otherwise learned Had I not been given this experience. I will use this knowledge and confidence as I continue my academic career. When I enter my upcoming classes this semester, I won’t be as apprehensive and anxious about my success in my science courses. Also, when it’s time for me to start applying to grad school, this confidence will help in preparing me for any necessary interviews and things of that nature.

As stated above, before this research experience I was uncertain about my career plans. I was so unsure of myself and I was hoping this experience would help put things into perspective. Coming out of the program, my future became clearer. While I don’t want any type of researching career, I do want a career in the sciences, more specifically in cosmetic science. I realized I really enjoyed being in the lab, and it is something I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. Now, I am not sure what specific cosmetic science career I want, but I still have a little time to figure that out. This experience benefited me in more ways than one; I was able to learn about a new topic and discipline while also helping me figure out my life at the same time.