5 Benefits Of Reading Multiple Books At Once

Why read just one?

12631
Online Learning Insights

Whether you're an avid reader, or one who simply reads on occasion, it's safe to say that reading is good for a person. When you read, you are introduced to a variety of things: new characters, situations you never thought possible, social structures and theories presented in the book-if one were to make a physical list of the benefits of reading, the list may go on forever.

Often times I get distracted with reading; I may find a book I've found interesting, set aside my current book, and have an enjoyable experience with the other book. For some odd reason, it can be perceived as having an affair with literature: staying loyal is challenging, yet entirely socially acceptable. Overall, I enjoy reading several books at once. Although it may be intimidating for some, I highly encourage reading a few books simultaneously. Below are five benefits of reading more than one book at once:

1. You get a variety of stories. Personally, I love reading classical, young adult (YA), and business books. By reading one book, you may be subjected to reading a specific and exclusive genre. By reading multiple books, you can always have a variety or reading choices; you don't always have to stick to one book and have to finish it in order to move onto another one. If you get bored with a story line, go onto a different book, and get a new perspective on something. The more you learn, the better.

2. Two (or three) birds with one stone. Although everyone has different reasons as to why they read, there may be one commonality: it's generally a great feeling to finish a book. Not talking about specific works, but whenever one reads the last page, dwells on it, and puts it back on the shelf (or wherever you hoard books, nobody will judge you), it feels pretty great. It's a great feeling to go about your life, maybe even telling people that today you read a book.

Now, imagine if you finished two, or three books in one sitting? It's a little conceited to think about, but say you have twenty-five pages left of Pride and Prejudice, fifty pages of The Hunger Games, and two more chapters of The Alchemist. You sit down, finish the last two chapters, and congratulations! You've just finished a book. Then, after the first book is done, you move on to finish the second, then the third book. Imagine how that would make you feel.

3. It can be a great challenge. Say a plot in a story is becoming predictable, yet you continue reading the book. Eventually, it may be a bit too easy. I know when I read multiple books at once, I find it a challenge sometimes, a good challenge. I have to keep my wits up, stay focused and remember more when I read one book, then shift my focus to another book. It keeps my mind active. It's almost like exercising. To be strong and lose weight, do you constantly work out a single section of your body with the same exercise, or do you engage with a variety of exercises? The same analogy for reading: would your mind grow if you read the same book for hours, or read one book for a bit, then move onto another one?

4. You can buy more. For book lovers, buying lots books is no different than fashionistas going to buy out the entire inventory of an H&M store. I try to refuse going into a bookstore knowing that I have several books on my shelf that I still need to read. In order to get more books, you would have to finish the ones you already have. When you read many books, it speeds up the process of getting new books.

5. Your reading challenge may be accomplished easier. I'm not a spokesperson for the company Goodreads, but, their website allows readers to keep track of their books, build their digital library, and make a reading goal for the year. At the beginning of the year, Goodreads members will be able to set a goal of how many books they will read. So, if you're determined to reach a reading goal, reading multiple books at once may help immensely.