The Benefits Of Taking A Social Media Cleanse

It may be difficult to stay off of social media for more than a few hours, but unplugging could have more benefits than you realize.

7

In today's world, if someone says they don't have a social media account, it's surprising. Social media is a great way to stay connected to people, read what is happening either locally or globally and to find inspiration. It's useful to express opinions, styles, and create an image for yourself. But there are some downsides of social media and taking a break from it always helps to put some things about life in perspective.

There are so many benefits to taking a social media break and everyone should take a cleanse to experience them.

One thing that a social media cleanse can do for you is have you appreciate what is in front of you. While scrolling through social media, it's not hard to compare yourself to others. Constantly comparing yourself, your life, family, or style is not healthy and learning to appreciate yourself and what you have is choosing to live a better and happier life. If you take away this platform that shows off everyone's "better" life, there is nothing to get jealous over. Because of social media, there are these expectations that younger people develop of how to live a perfect life and it shouldn't be like this. Putting away social media will allow people to develop their own ways of how to live a life they see as perfect.

Another reason to take a break from social media is to stop constantly thinking about trying to create the most "Instagrammable" moment. You should be enjoying the moment! Life should not be measured by how many likes, comments or views you get. Often people get so wrapped up in trying to get the best photo that they don't stop and look around and realize that they should just be enjoying themselves!

At the same time, take all the photos you want to remember the happy and exciting times, but just remember they don't have to be perfect! It is almost liberating knowing that you do not have to post all the time on social media to show what you are doing. Taking a social media cleanse will help a person realize that life is messy and not picture perfect all time!

To be clear, I'm not saying to go off the grid and delete all your social media accounts, I'm just suggesting a small break from social media. See if you can go two or three days without logging into Instagram or Twitter. You'll see a difference in your mood and outlook on life. You'll have more time on your hands to be productive.

From my own experience, I log off of all my social media accounts once I feel like I am on it too much. Social media is a great way to pass the time, but sometimes I find myself going on for hours, and it really does not benefit me in any way. That constant energy that is put into seeing what everyone is up to or talking about is put into other things that actually benefit me. I'm going to admit that I do keep my Snapchat active when I go on social media cleanses because it is a main way my friends and I keep in contact, but logging off all other platforms really puts life in perspective.