Six Benefits of being an English Major

Six Benefits of being an English Major

Why English major sterotypes are myths.

3006
Six Benefits of being an English Major
Twitter

The English major has adopted a certain stigma, a facade of failure. Sadly, the English major has been susceptible to several stereotypes, the most popular being the unemployed graduate with no job prospects. The expectation that every English major wants to be a teacher seems a little more positive, but the one that paints every English major as a “grammar-nazi,” is not so dandy.

I’ve heard all the stereotypes, jokes, and negative comments about the major that I love, so I feel that it is my duty to highlight the numerous positives of this wonderful major.

1.Writing about whatever you want

Most of my classes have consisted of papers that have a general prompt, a page requirement, and the fact you have to use twelve point Times New Roman font (duh). Certainly not every reading of the novels in class is going to catch an individual’s fancy, which is why the English major makes it easy. You write about what interests you. A novel can touch on a myriad of different identities like race, gender and social class. I don't know how many times I’ve written about femininity and masculinity, but it never gets boring because it's a topic that interests me, and the fact that I'm allowed to explore topics of my interests through my writings, it makes writing feel a whole lot more fun, rather than an aching nuisance.

2. Reading as your homework

English isn’t all writing. English majors can snuggle up in bed with their snuggies on, drink some wine or lounge on the couch to do their homework. Reading makes up a lot of the homework, obviously, and it’s better than memorizing the parts of the cell (mitochondria who?). Reading can include a daring tale, insight into a different time and reach the greatest depths of your imagination.

The reason why I love reading so much is summed up in a George R.R Martin's quote, “'A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,' said Jojen. 'The man who never reads lives only one.'” I can become a transgender living in the time during and after Stonewall, or a woman living in England in 1885 or even a girl struggling in a mental hospital. I can become all these things, feel the experience and become a better person because of it. Reading isn’t just looking at a dead tree, but experiencing another life perspective.

3. No multiple choice tests (mostly)

The fear of picking in between B and D, then looking after class, only to realize you should have chosen A, doesn’t happen with English majors. English majors read, discuss, then write. Their thoughts are not limited to options ranging from A to D. That sounds so limiting when you can expand upon an idea, build it, and make it your own. When taking a test, English majors can write out their thoughts, and get to the answer eventually.

4. Being able to go into any field

Every time I tell someone that I’m an English major I hear, “So you want to be teacher?” *insert eye roll*

An English degree can get you a career other than being a teacher. Yes, that’s right, employers love good writers. Not all English majors are going to become teachers, although it is a fantastic profession. English majors can become lawyers, authors, copy editors, publishers, doctors, paralegals...the list is endless. The English major doesn’t just learn to write well and read effectively to be restricted to becoming a teacher. The English major is versatile, and to say that it is only meant for one occupation is just plain wrong. The myth of the unemployable English major is widely accepted, but far from the truth.

5. Discovering a wide range of literary material

No, not all English majors have read the classics. While some English majors will talk your ear off about Hemingway’s works, others will submerse themselves in contemporary works that speak to modern times. While some English majors enjoy social issues in sci-fi novels, others enjoy crying over a John Green novel. As an English major, you are introduced to different genres, not just the classics. Although the classics can be fun to read, learning about the genre’s that have become popular over several eras is a huge part of being an English major as well.

6. Finding a voice

Living amongst millions of people in the world, it is difficult to find your singular voice but, English majors find their singular voice through writing. Writers’ words are like signatures: they stamp an identity on a piece of work. Finding your own writing style makes it easier to find interests, genres and books that you may like. Plus, writing becomes less of a chore and more of an adventure. College is meant to be a time where you find yourself, and with an English major it is very easy to do. When writing, everyone takes on their own style and voice.

In the end, English majors should be proud in the face of all the negative stereotypes. Do what you love, not what people around you tell you is best. Let passion guide you in the choice of your major, not the pre-existing beliefs of each major. Beyond the negative stereotypes of the English major, there are huge benefits that prepare students to enter the workforce. If you are about to enter into the major, welcome to the world of English, where the possibilities are endless. Say it loud, say it proud: "I'm an English major!".