Houses for Sale

To My Childhood Home, I Will Miss You

I may be leaving you, but the memories will never leave.

107
To My Childhood Home, I Will Miss You
Kelsie Williams

I write this as I get ready to make the next move in my adult life. I am getting ready to transfer out of a community college and head to a university. I will no longer live there, but you will always be my home.

My grandpa has lived in the house for several decades. My grandma lived here before she passed, and it is the only place I still have memories of her. My childhood home was more than a house to me. I grew up playing in the house's backyard and laughing at the dinner table.

If I am going, to be honest, then the house helped me become who I am today. My home has kept my secrets, tears, laughs, and memories for over 18 years. Between heartbreaks and moving constantly, my childhood home became my safe haven. It became the only thing I trusted.

You are a blissful place to be. You're always quiet and listening. Sometimes, I will catch you singing a song using the wind. With every breeze, all of the memories run through my mind.

That is when I realize you are the calm in my life. No matter what goes on, I can sit on the porch swing and enjoy your memories, presence, and love.

I did not always live here, but that does not make it any less important or memorable. For several years, I lived next door in a beat up trailer. Next door was always home though. Even when I lived with a boyfriend for a few months, that house was still home.

You will always be beautiful and youthful to me. When I dream of my future, I see my family growing up in a house just like this one. No matter how many times I have to do some work on the house, it will always be worth it to me.

It is coming close to saying goodbye to you, but don't worry because I will still visit on weekends and breaks. I just want you to know that no matter where life takes me, you will always be my first home. I promise to tell my children and grandchildren the stories I had with you and to drive by when I need to see you.

In my childhood home, I will miss you. I will never forget you. No home will ever compare to you.